Cycle etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I was wondering if there was any cyclist to cyclist"etiquette"
For example bikers nod at each other...hikers call each other nobby....
I will always stop if another cyclist is having a mechanical crisis at the road side but is there a generally accepted set of unwritten laws?
You may have surmised that this has come up before (and I've not even been here that long!)

You could look at The Rules I guess.

Generally a cyclist is just someone on a bike. Most people on bikes don't self identify, those that do will either follow the rules, deliberately not follow the rules, or neither know nor care about them. All are valid.
Bikers don't all nod at each other, try riding a fully dressed up Harley and seeing how invisible you can be on a sunny day. Try riding a Dakar rep and getting acknowledgement from a guy on a full on sports bike. But some do, that's cool too.
Hikers, how interesting. Who knew.
Some people stop, some don't, everyone has good reasons for it. That you always stop is nice, but must be tiring at times. I've found stopping often sees you fixing problems that can all be attributed to the laziness of the bike owner which has made me somewhat jaded. I assess the problem and my free time and stop when the two are at the correct levels.

Have a search around on those topics, you'll find where most people sit on them around here. There isn't much changing of camps. Plus I think you might owe Ian a penny... :-)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ .....blooming cheek...they don't even pay Road Tax....

tyred

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3261989, member: 259"]I've buried mine under the patio.:ohmy:[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, I may do likewise. The saddles rails on my beloved B72 on my utility bike snapped yesterday while riding home from work.

Bought for a tenner at a stand at a vintage rally, it was :smooch: at first sight and we had covered many thousands of happy miles together. Fare thee well old friend:cry:I can take the hint that I really should lose weight but did you need to tell me in such a blunt manner?:surrender:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I bet the ones who don't say hello all use Campag stuff... stuck up gits.
Feck off nobber. There's no Campag on my bike

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Funny you should say that, I may do likewise. The saddles rails on my beloved B72 on my utility bike snapped yesterday while riding home from work.

Bought for a tenner at a stand at a vintage rally, it was :smooch: at first sight and we had covered many thousands of happy miles together. Fare thee well old friend:cry:I can take the hint that I really should lose weight but did you need to tell me in such a blunt manner?:surrender:

I thought with Brooks you just sent them a telegram and someone arrived by horse to whisk it away and rebuild it. Is that not part of the service? :-)

tyred

Legendary Member
I thought with Brooks you just sent them a telegram and someone arrived by horse to whisk it away and rebuild it. Is that not part of the service? :-)

I do see they offer replacement chassis for all their saddles. It would cost me £20 for a replacement for a B72 so just weighing up whether I consider it worth it. I'll check what else I have in my big box miscellaneous bikes parts.

Top Bottom