Cycle frame broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonboiz

My E glide folding bicycle frame collapsed yesterday and broke it's unusable now it's only 27 months old what can I do to get it fixed for free if I can it's a manufacturering fault?

vickster

Legendary Member
My E glide folding bicycle frame collapsed yesterday and broke it's unusable now it's only 27 months old what can I do to get it fixed for free if I can it's a manufacturering fault?
Were you the original owner? What warranty does the manufacturer offer on the frame? Do you have a link to the bike on the manufacturers website. One more thing, assume you’re under the max recommended rider weight for the bike?

OP
OP
J

Jonboiz

Were you the original owner? What warranty does the manufacturer offer on the frame? Do you have a link to the bike on the manufacturers website. One more thing, assume you’re under the max recommended rider weight for the bike?

Original owner and under weight for bike

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Id just contact the retailer and simply explain the situation. See if they can help. You might be surprised, i have one or two times in the past with internet purchases... Its the easiest way for everybody as legal action may take months if not years for a resolution with no guarantees of success...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would contact the retailer, nicely, see if you get a result. If not, if an EBay purchase, I would lodge an issue with them. If I paid with Credir Card, I would contact the card issuer.

OP
OP
J

Jonboiz

The warranty is one thing, but any item sold must be fit for purpose and a cycle frame that breaks after 27 months clearly isn't. I think you have a very strong legal case for a refund or replacement if an initial friendly approach (Recommended) does not work.
The place I bought it from is bust now so should I contact the manufacturer?

Sorry to hear of your bike failure. Where exactly did the frame break? Can you show us a picture?

I recently had a folding bike (non-electric) frame snap in two, right next to the main hinge. It was over a dozen years old, and in effect a 'no name' manufacturer.

Is there any sign of corrosion inside the battery compartment, maybe indicating a battery leakage?

Any additional info would be of benefit to others looking for or owning something similar.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd seek out a friendly garage or small engineering workshop, and get the bloke to run a welding torch over the failure point. Assuming the frame is steel it would be an easy beer money bonus job, and a lot less expense or hassle than trying to claim warranty or replacing the whole thing.
The chances are you are on a hiding to nothing trying to persue the manufacturer. You can't chase the retailer, and the thing is out of warranty. I reckon you might as well sort it out yourself. If it was mine, I would DIY weld it, but I've got the tools and ability to do it

Top Bottom