cycle helmet keep or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneArmedBandit

Simple rule on sites where hard hats are worn was one sharp impact, three blunt impacts, replace.

Climbing helmets were replaced after any hard impact, similar with canoeing helmets.

Never saw any delivered in extra padding in the boxes. But any with marks were rejected/returned.
But here a sharp tap isn't so much of an issue, it's being crushed.

I bought a helmet from Wiggle. It came just in the box with an address label on. It could have been tossed into the van under a pile of other packages for all I know. When I used to work in supermarkets it was more than common for the warehouse to put fragile items on the bottom of a cage, so I wouldn't imagine shops are much better.

Again not scientific but whenever I have seen properly crashed helmets they are very obvious because there is a gap between the hard shell and the EPS underneath. EPS should not rebound when crushed so any damage should show some signs of deformation.

Safest thing is of course to replace a helmet but personally I would not bother, I find it difficult to understand how the manufacturer's claims of "invisible damage" take place.

classic33

Leg End Member
UV light damages most plastics. Then you've body fluids, usually sweat.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
But here a sharp tap isn't so much of an issue, it's being crushed.

I bought a helmet from Wiggle. It came just in the box with an address label on. It could have been tossed into the van under a pile of other packages for all I know. When I used to work in supermarkets it was more than common for the warehouse to put fragile items on the bottom of a cage, so I wouldn't imagine shops are much better.

Again not scientific but whenever I have seen properly crashed helmets they are very obvious because there is a gap between the hard shell and the EPS underneath. EPS should not rebound when crushed so any damage should show some signs of deformation.

Safest thing is of course to replace a helmet but personally I would not bother, I find it difficult to understand how the manufacturer's claims of "invisible damage" take place.
Eggs don't come in padded boxes yet most seem to survive their journey to the shelf.

OneArmedBandit

Eggs don't come in padded boxes yet most seem to survive their journey to the shelf.
Eggshells are (relatively) good at surviving compressive forces - if you try and squeeze one with your entire fist it will not break without considerable force.

Compressive forces are exactly what is meant to damage helmets.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Eggshells are (relatively) good at surviving compressive forces - if you try and squeeze one with your entire fist it will not break without considerable force.

Compressive forces are exactly what is meant to damage helmets.
All depends on the direction of the force. They're strong top to bottom but not so much around their girth. I reckon a helmet in a box will survive a fair bit of being shifted, chucked, moved and loaded on top of in transit.... just like eggs do (mostly).

classic33

Leg End Member
All depends on the direction of the force. They're strong top to bottom but not so much around their girth. I reckon a helmet in a box will survive a fair bit of being shifted, chucked, moved and loaded on top of in transit.... just like eggs do (mostly).
And if they're marked or there's visible damage, you don't buy them.

Top Bottom