cycle helmet keep or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Out on the bike this morning at a set of light's car in front set off a bit too slow (can't rule out on purpose) and I lost balance and came off. One driver did stop to see if i was ok so thank you for that. I'm ok not too bad a few minor grazers. My head did hit the pavement but not with any great force. The question is my helmet has a few marks on it but nothing too bad should I replace it or be ok to carry on ?

As for the big question yes my bike btw is ok other than a some minor damage to the left lever.

Venod

Eh up
I would keep it if the marks are minor, I have several makes on both my helmets but they are both sound.

I should add I sometimes ride without an helmet so my attitude to helmets may not be yours.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Replace.

The function of the encased polystyrene is to compress, reducing the speed of deceleration of the head. It's impossible for you to determine to what extent the material has compressed so you cannot rely on it. Do not mistake a lack of damage externally to be any indication of internal damage.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

That's what I was thinking just looking for extra help and advice as unsure

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Replace. If you believe in helmets as a safety aid, then believe in full - don't just cherry pick the bits you like because it saves you a few quid at replacement time.

If you believe they work, then get the best, most undamaged one you can find.

hehe I've form enough PPE over the years to know none is a replacement for going things safely in the1st place. But think i'm better off with buying a helmet than having to get a new head.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Between 3 and 7 in most cases. Specialized 5, for example.

Oh no. I have only worn it about 5 times since I got it five years ago!

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Looking like a trip to the LBS later. Last time we went just for a look Mrs 73 came away with order for a bike. I am currently looking for n+1 mmmm want can go wrong ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking like a trip to the LBS later. Last time we went just for a look Mrs 73 came away with order for a bike. I am currently looking for n+1 mmmm want can go wrong ;)
Planet X seem to offer good value lids. Obviously you need to try them on

OneArmedBandit

If you needed to replace a helmet after a slight knock why don't they come in padded boxes? They must get knocked around a great deal in transit.

Even if there was a small amount of deformation then as far as I know there are no published standards on the density of EPS in cycle helmets, beyond them needing to meet minimum safety specifications. So conceivably you could go out and buy a helmet with less dense EPS which ends up providing less protection than your "damaged" previous helmet.

Not saying that I'm right, I just don't really see how something designed to crush if you have a proper bonk to the head can be damaged by a glancing impact. Of course the only way to be certain is to buy a new helmet, but I don't have much belief that helmets really are "disposable" one use affairs.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you needed to replace a helmet after a slight knock why don't they come in padded boxes? They must get knocked around a great deal in transit.

Even if there was a small amount of deformation then as far as I know there are no published standards on the density of EPS in cycle helmets, beyond them needing to meet minimum safety specifications. So conceivably you could go out and buy a helmet with less dense EPS which ends up providing less protection than your "damaged" previous helmet.

Not saying that I'm right, I just don't really see how something designed to crush if you have a proper bonk to the head can be damaged by a glancing impact. Of course the only way to be certain is to buy a new helmet, but I don't have much belief that helmets really are "disposable" one use affairs.
Simple rule on sites where hard hats are worn was one sharp impact, three blunt impacts, replace.

Climbing helmets were replaced after any hard impact, similar with canoeing helmets.

Never saw any delivered in extra padding in the boxes. But any with marks were rejected/returned.

Top Bottom