Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve keay

Über Member
Today I rode my recently finished Raleigh City vintage ride to work. ( see the vintage forum) I wore a cycle helmet for the first time. Ive ridden for years and never worn one, MY other half bought me one the other day so I thought Id start wearing it.
Was amazed at the reaction of the other bike riders at work taking the p**s out of me. non of them wear helmets so I did kinda feel the odd one out. I know my luck though, now Ive got one if I dont wear it I just know IM going over the handlebars.
I interested in your views on wearing a helmet.

daSmirnov

*gets popcorn*

I never used to wear a helmet, haven't had one since I was a kid, then I got a camera and needed something to attach it to. The other half had a helmet she never used, so I nicked it.

Wearing a helmet only because its handy to attach camera/lights to. Evidence for any effectiveness at protecting ones brain in any sort of road collision is weak to non-existent.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I wear my helmet because:
keeps the rain out, keeps the wind out, my hair doesn't get windblown, it's a bright shiny red one, my favorite colour :rolleyes:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I got one bought for me too, so have the same dilema that id feel an idiot if i hit my head while i had a helmet at home. I used to only wear it on proper rides (not just to nip to the shop/tesco), but now i feel kinda naked without it so wear it quite a lot. Only thing i dont like really is the wind noise it seems to create that makes it much harder to hear traffic.

The choice is entirely yours, but please make an informed one.

The general advice is either the logical one that helmets do have limitations and that you should be aware of these so you have a realistic expectation of what they will and will not offer in protection.

Then there is the "wear a helmet or else you will immediately suffer horrendous head injuries and die as a vegetable" argument

Read the evidence, make up your own mind and do not get coerced by unfounded claims of universal protection or emotive and emotional blackmail

Interestingly the programme the other night on Channel Four about Kings College Hospital A&E had one cyclist who came off without a helmet and got an upper head injury - much made of the lack of helmet during the accident account when she was bought in. One cyclist who came off with a helmet and got an upper head injury with some mention as he binned his helmet. One person who came in after falling 8ft head first off some scaffolding and got a very serious brain injury that required surgery. No mention of helmets whatsoever. All three recovered perfectly. Make of that what you will.

I wear a helmet, I have for a long time and I will for the rest of my cycling life. I know it's limitations, and I have personal accident experience while wearing one, therefore I consider my decision an informed one for me.

freewheelwilly

I always wear a lid and dont give a damn what anyone else thinks. For me it is additional protection as was proven several years ago when i had an 'off' and my head hit the kerb. I'm almost certain that without it i would have had some serious trauma.

Its up to you what you want to do or wear and that includes wearing skin tight lycra. :biggrin:

simon.r

Person
I wear a helmet, I have for a long time and I will for the rest of my cycling life. I know it's limitations, and I have personal accident experience while wearing one, therefore I consider my decision an informed one for me.

Same for me.

Two accidents, one on a motorbike (at <30mph, so comparable to cycle speed) and one on a pushbike. Both resulted in broken helmets but no head injuries.

Having said that, I respect the individual's choice as to whether to wear one or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom