Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who wants to see my new helmet? It's a beauty ^_^
1315299098-29123200.jpg

Subject: streamlined helmet ejection
To: ASTM F08.53 Chairman: P. David Halstead
From: Hugh H. Hurt, Jr, Head Protection Research Laboratory

During the last couple of years, the technical staff at HPRL has encountered an interesting-and possibly dangerous-problem with the aerodynamic-shaped or streamlined bicycle helmets. These popular helmets have a teardrop design which tapers to a wedge at the rear of the helmet, supposedly reducing aerodynamic drag along with increased ventilation through the many openings in the shell.
The adverse effect of this aerodynamic shape is that the wedge at the back of the helmet tends to deflect and rotate the helmet on the head when impact occurs there. Any impact at the front or sides of the streamlined helmet is no different from other helmet shapes, but any impact on the rear wedge tends to rotate the helmet on the head, probably deflecting the helmet to expose the bare head to impact, and at worst ejecting the helmet completely from the head. Actually, everybody who has tested these streamlined helmets over the past years has encountered the problem of these helmets being displaced during impact testing at the rear wedge. Usually additional tape was required to maintain the helmet in place during rear impact tests; usually the basic retention system alone could not keep the helmet in place during impact testing on the rear of the helmet.
Unfortunately, the implication of helmet displacement and possible ejection in an actual accident impact did not register as a real hazard in previous years of testing, but now there are accident cases appearing that show this to be a genuine hazard for bicycle riders wearing these streamlined helmets. Accident impacts at the rear of these streamlined helmets can cause the helmet to rotate away and expose the head to injury, or eject the helmet completely. The forces generated from the wedge effect can stretch the chinstraps very easily, and even break the [occipital--Prof. Hurt used a trademarked name] retention devices.
We request that F08.53 committee study this problem and develop advisory information for both manufacturers of these streamlined helmets and consumer bicyclists who now own and wear such helmets. There is a definite hazard for displacement or ejection from impact on the rear wedge of these helmets, and bicyclists should be warned of this danger by an authority such as ASTM.
s/Hugh H. Hurt, Jr
Professor Emeritus-USC
President, Head Protection Research Laboratory
s/Christopher B. Swanson
Laboratory Manager, Head Protection Research Laboratory

..... and [ here is the website for these helmets.

Try and spot any mention of protection, impact or the standard which they pass

Like so many helmets these day this is totally avoided

..... and [ here is the website for these helmets.

Try and spot any mention of protection, impact or the standard which they pass

Like so many helmets these day this is totally avoided

But clearly comfort is a big issue as they go on and on about it. "Optimal fit and comfort", "Optimal adjustability, comfort and head hold" and "Exceptional comfort"

avalon

Guru
And the evidence would appear to suggest that the "majority of cyclists are happy to conform" is not correct.
I'm happy to stand corrected, but where are they all? The few that get reported in the press are only a small minority. Like most people on here I believe it should be down to personal choice and most of the time I'm happy to wear one because of my fear of kangaroos, which have a tendency to bounce across the road in front of me.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm happy to stand corrected, but where are they all?

I think they just stopped cycling.

I think they just stopped cycling.

The figures would certainly seem to show that - in both the massive decrease in cyclists and also the high number of respondents stating that helmets are the main reason for not cycling.

Let us not also forget that many of the "silent majority" will simply wear helmets, and not create a fuss, but assuming that they are "happy" to conform is pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom