Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There have been some really dumb comments on here. If you want to wear a helmet, wear one. If not, don't. If you don't and you are willing, in the event of a fall or accident, to cut your head open and graze your dumb f*cking Neanderthal-like head/face, then the best of luck to you in your efforts.

Regarding opinion polls and tests for and against the effects of wearing a helmet, you can't believe EVERYTHING that you read or hear...

That is quite spectacularly stupid and offensive.
And I fail to see the relevance of Clinton's little incident.

There have been some really dumb comments on here. If you want to wear a helmet, wear one. If not, don't. If you don't and you are willing, in the event of a fall or accident, to cut your head open and graze your dumb f*cking Neanderthal-like head/face, then the best of luck to you in your efforts.

So you will be wearing a full face helmet then?

StuartG

slower but further
Pity you are reading the wrong report about a different study. I have a PDF of the right one somewhere on one of my computers and will post it if I can find it..

Thank you, that would be very useful. You didn't answer the question why one is right and the other wrong. Particularly in choosing the earlier conclusion over the subsequent one.

If it is your job I would have expected you to at least have checked that you were commenting on the right study and not a different study

The clues led to the later paper. The later paper did not reference the earlier study by the same author. If he did not think it of significance why should I? In fact, if it does come to a different conclusion is it not misleading to ignore/obscure a previous different conclusion?

And to answer your earlier question yes I have read the paper and you clearly haven't. But here, have this cloth to wipe the egg off your face.
Is that not a really childish statement? We have read different papers. It took BenB and me to establish there were two papers. Had you not read the other one and hence did not spot the issue either?

Are you not genuinely concerned by the apparent difference in these papers? Is it something we should be trying to bring into the light of open discussion rather than silly point scoring. I have no agenda but honest enquiry. Do you share that?

avalon

Guru
It's good to see this subject is allowed to be discussed here. I made a comment on an Australian forum about seeing a couple of cyclist's without helmets, which started a debate and the moderators put a stop to the thread. Helmets are compulsory in Australia and the majority of cyclists are happy to conform.

avalon

Guru
Helmets have been compulsory here in Australia since 1991. I don't know if cyclist numbers have fallen since the law was introduced but there are statistics that say fatalities and head injuries have not been reduced and statistics that say they have. I suppose it's all down to how you manipulate them. There are a very small number of people who still refuse to comply.

By the way User, where in north somerset do you live. I use to live in Weston-super-Mare.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Almost Melon time, but not quite yet!

Oh come on, surely it is time

It's good to see this subject is allowed to be discussed here. I made a comment on an Australian forum about seeing a couple of cyclist's without helmets, which started a debate and the moderators put a stop to the thread. Helmets are compulsory in Australia and the majority of cyclists are happy to conform.

Not the case, I am afraid.

If the majority were happy to conform, why did the number of cyclists drop by 30%?

Secondly surveys in Australia show that between 18 - 20% of non cyclists state that having to wear a helmet is the single reason that do not cycle. the outcome of one such research project was that:

"To the extent that Sydney is representative of the rest of Australia, the repeal of mandatory helmet legislation would be likely to substantially increase cycling in Australia.

The most worrying thing about the Australian experience is that the real evidence is being ignored as it does not fit a pro helmet agenda.

In the 1980's there were a series of draconian clampdowns on illegal driving, antisocial driving, speeding, drink driving and other road safety measures. This produced a massive drop in head injuries, and a far greater drop than was seen by the helmet legislation.

So what we should gain from the Australian experience is that driver training and clamping down on poor driving is the way forward if we really want to reduce the number of head injuries.

Helmets have been compulsory here in Australia since 1991. I don't know if cyclist numbers have fallen since the law was introduced but there are statistics that say fatalities and head injuries have not been reduced and statistics that say they have. I suppose it's all down to how you manipulate them. There are a very small number of people who still refuse to comply.

By the way User, where in north somerset do you live. I use to live in Weston-super-Mare.

There is also a very interesting case where the Judiciary has come down on the side of the non-helmet wearers
A lady called Sue Abbott was taken to court for not wearing a helmet. However the verdict was quashed by the Judge on the grounds that:

'
'Having read all the material, I think I would fall down on your side of the ledger,I frankly don't think there is anything advantageous and there may well be a disadvantage in situations to have a helmet - and it seems to me that it's one of those areas where it ought to be a matter of choice.

He also found that Abbott had:

an honestly held and not unreasonable belief as to the danger associated with the use of a helmet by cyclists''
She still does not wear a helmet and the decisions by the Judge are now being used in similar cases.

Who wants to see my new helmet? It's a beauty ^_^
1315299098-29123200.jpg

A triumph of appearances over function IMO.
FTFY. What do I think? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not personally qualified to say ^_^

My reason for wearing one is based on personal accident experience, however, I fully support anyone's right not to wear one if that is what they wish :thumbsup:

I know better than to even attempt to convert a non-helmet wearer, (and vice versa), and as such I'm certainly not getting dragged into a helmet debate, (life's too short and I'm too busy).

If you want to wear one do, (but don't preach about it), if you don't, don't, (but don't preach about that either) :thumbsup:

[EDIT] Ladies & Gentlemen, smokeysmoo has left the building ;)

FTFY. What do I think? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not personally qualified to say.

My reason for wearing one is based on personal accident experience, however, I fully support anyone's right not to wear one if that is what they wish :thumbsup:

I know better than to even attempt to convert a non-helmet wearer, (and vice versa), and as such I'm certainly not getting dragged into a helmet debate, (life's too short and I'm too busy).

If you want to wear one do, (but don't preach about it), if you don't, don't, (but don't preach about that either) :thumbsup:

I wasn't preaching about your choice to wear one or not. I was commenting on the helmet design. Those big bits sticking out the back may look sexy but they are the things that catch on the ground or other objects and wrench the head round. And the big vents compromise the integrity in an accident. More polystyrene and less big holes would be better. But the aesthetics have been given priority over the function and that is not just IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom