Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
The most surprising finding is that the bicycle-related fatality rate is positively and significantly correlated with increased helmet use"
I am guessing you got this from here: http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/helmet_research.html which quotes an earlier 1988 paper but not his 'inconclusive' later paper which, to make things even more confusing, doesn't reference his own earlier paper in the relevant section. Weird.

I can't find an online copy of the 1988 paper or the Journal of Product Liability. It would seem a strange place to publish an important and difficult statistical analysis. Yet I see quotes to it all over the place treating it as gospel.

Well I'm certainly confused. Can those that quote it please lead us through the timeline and the consistency or otherwise in Rodger's view?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
say what you like, helmets mess up your hair.

migrantwing

Veteran
There have been some really dumb comments on here. If you want to wear a helmet, wear one. If not, don't. If you don't and you are willing, in the event of a fall or accident, to cut your head open and graze your dumb f*cking Neanderthal-like head/face, then the best of luck to you in your efforts.

Regarding opinion polls and tests for and against the effects of wearing a helmet, you can't believe EVERYTHING that you read or hear...

Taken from page 13 of the US Product Safety Commission GB Rodgers report: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/344.pdf

Pity you are reading the wrong report about a different study. I have a PDF of the right one somewhere on one of my computers and will post it if I can find it.

Benb is correct in his quote from the correct study.

If it is your job I would have expected you to at least have checked that you were commenting on the right study and not a different study using different data and methodologies published at a different time in a different place. It's not that the clues aren't clearly there to see including the absence of the much quoted text benb has posted.

And to answer your earlier question yes I have read the paper and you clearly haven't. But here, have this cloth to wipe the egg off your face.

migrantwing

Veteran
If you stub your toe getting out of the bath, it hurts. If you stub your toe whilst wearing shoes, it hurts less, if at all...Simple!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Should I have used an emoticon? I couldn't find one which adequately expresses my feelings about Martin Gotheridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom