Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Sigh...

In that case I have only one thing left to say.

Helmet.
Your helmet!

I went over the bars recently and face planted. I got a fat lip and a few cuts and grazes but the lip of my helmet landed first. It saved me from splitting my forehead open.

I've always wore a cycle helmet and will continue to do so. It's like any insurance, you hope you never have to use it but it's very useful to have when you need it.

To those who take the piss I say I'd rather wear a cycle helmet and be laughed at than mourned over,

StuartG

slower but further
To those who take the piss I say I'd rather wear a cycle helmet and be laughed at than mourned over,
There is a small chance that a helmet can prevent death. The mitigation will still mean a life changing (and I'm being modest) head injury. Whether you can laugh or notice being laughed at will be a miracle.

Similarly if, in your anecdote, the helmet had saved the upper part of your head from any injury - what do you think the most you would have suffered if you had not worn it? A bruise, a cut - but penetration or severe depression of the skull? Examine the physics.

The point continuously being made here is that helmets give an illusion of safety. Illusions can be dangerous.

There is a small chance that a helmet can prevent death.

There is but there is a bigger small chance that it will cause a death based on the results of Rodger's US study of 8 million cycle accidents which showed helmet wearers were at increased risk of being killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom