Cycle helmets are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
He is saying the cheap flimsy ones , ive come off in the past and been truly grateful ive had my helmet on, it was smashed all down one side , and i just got a slight scrape and head ache , it would have been far worst without it.

I am sure his cowboy hat has special powers of protection if he comes off head first.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have we discussed the pros and cons of safety helmets before i wonder(?):rolleyes: That picture of a cyclist wearing a helmet is so wrong by the way,because he's only covering half his head with the helmet!:headshake:

Last edited:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I remember the same debate in the 70's regarding wearing a helmet on motorbikes, When it became Law in 1973 people argued it should be their choice, and some still say it should be made legal to ride without, so the cycle helmet debate will go on for ever.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
What we all need is the head air bag ,,, be careful though as it does also change your sex upon deployment
Invisible_Helmet.jpg

Rapples

Guru
He puts forward the anti-helmet argument quite well. It would be nice to see some more facts from his research other than motorists pass 3" closer to helmeted riders without hitting them, as evidence of their increased risk.

He does rather negate his rational analysis though in his last comment.
“It’s my life at risk,” he said, ‘So I regularly cross over red lights.”

OP
OP
S

sight-pin

Veteran
You feel safer. The key work there is feel.
The degree to which you actually are safer may well be very small under. The degree to which you are actually in danger in the first place may well also be very small.

Well lets say, If i was to strike my head on the road or kerb in an accident, i think i would come off better wearing a helmet than without.....no?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not necessarily but it's your choice. I wear one and hit my head in my recent accident and was fine, logically in my case having something between my skull and the road was a good thing, but I can't say for sure. Shin protection would have been useful too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom