Cycle helmets are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
" There are two types of cyclist who choose not to wear a helmet: the stupid one and the 'activist' one. "

you forgot to qualify this with, in my opinion

D

Deleted member 23692

Don't worry. Tomorrow another expert will tell us they are brilliant and will save you from being run over by a 40t lorry, falling satellites and in-growing toe nails.
And here he is...

WA_helmetSafety_zps0b0d9ae3.jpg

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
ive pinged the mods , got no reply from the Who, but Paul Weller replied to say the local church jumble sale starts at 10am tomorrow, he had no opinion either way on should this thread be moved, sting replied with "we are the mods we are the mods" then threw a dustbin through a window .

Last edited:
only a nugget I would rather hit the tarmac with a helmet than without.Only a nugget would think otherwise.

Exactly why pedestrians need helmets....

Or are you going to claim that hitting the tarmac is less painful, less damaging, or less traumatic if you are a pedestrian.

After all ..... only a nugget would think otherwise

I do love the strength of the pro-helmet arguments.

Agree with me or you are a very very silly person.

The only danger I have is banging my head when I fall to the floor laughing at this as an argument

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Going down a hill at 40mph, if a helmet will reduce my chances of serious injury by even 1%, I'll wear one. Appreciating the points made that cycling isn't inherently dangerous and other activities we do are as dangerous but we don't wear a helmet for them. But 1% is worth it to me

Davidc

Guru
Yawn

No, I don't feel safer when wearing one.

If they'd been around in 1972 and I'd been wearing one in the multiple collision I was in on Bridge Valley Road, Bristol, I would have been beheaded and there would have been 3 fatalities instead of 2. I walked away unhurt.

That is anecdotal, and as evidence is as totally useless as the huge pile of anecdotes along the 'helmet saved my life' lines.

The evidence, real evidence, is clear. Helmets are safety neutral, helping as often as they hinder.

Why isn't this in the Helmet Debates section where it belongs?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Going down a hill at 40mph, if a helmet will reduce my chances of serious injury by even 1%, I'll wear one. Appreciating the points made that cycling isn't inherently dangerous and other activities we do are as dangerous but we don't wear a helmet for them. But 1% is worth it to me

The key word in your sentence is "if".

Leaving aside 40mph specifics, looking at Australia or Ontario where compulsion has been introduced, there does not seem to be an overall benefit.
So "if" is rather moot

Which rather raises a question over your speed.

Cycle helmets (even the highest rated) are only assessed at an impact energy equivalent to 12 mph

The claim that a 1% decrease in the chances of injury is worthwhile, I wonder about what percentage decrease you would gain by limiting your speed to a value that the helmet is validated for?

I would suggests that it is greater than 1%

Of course you could also achieve a far greater than 1% decrease by wearing a motorcycle helmet that HAS been validated to function at 40 mph

Or is that 1% really unimportant after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom