Cycle helmets are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1246485981.jpg

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Excellent well done. You post a load of unsubstantiated and emotive stuff and then go for the trivialising of anyone who might disagree with you. Nice.

I did not trivialise anyone its called humour , you should try it some time, i bet your a real hoot at parties.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Jesus died for our sins; wear a helmet, eh?
I'm sure this is blindingly obvious, and also wildly OT, but why did he die for the sins I would commit 2000 years later, why didn't he sort it so I wouldn't commit those sins?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You mean I'm trumpeting ignorance? Please explain
No not you Nickyboy... just everyone else who's pro-helmet.... "you have made a best judgement analysis and acknowledged the limitations"

I don't wear a helmet because i think it would make me look like a nobber... the fact that i am a nobber doesn't seem to bother me though... what to do, what to do??

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Which rather raises a question over your speed.

Cycle helmets (even the highest rated) are only assessed at an impact energy equivalent to 12 mph

The claim that a 1% decrease in the chances of injury is worthwhile, I wonder about what percentage decrease you would gain by limiting your speed to a value that the helmet is validated for?

I would suggests that it is greater than 1%

Of course you could also achieve a far greater than 1% decrease by wearing a motorcycle helmet that HAS been validated to function at 40 mph

Or is that 1% really unimportant after all?

Hmm...you raise some fair points. I guess the rationalisation is that there is a tradeoff between my enjoyment of cycling (of which going downhill faster than 12mph is a significant component) and the inherent risk in doing so.

The issue really in this case is whether wearing a helmet reduces my risk of serious injury when whizzing downhill by 0%, 1%, 99% or whatever. If it's 1% then your argument is quite reasonable but were that it was, let's say, 10% then I think the balance of the argument changes

Full motorcycle helmet up the Snake Pass on a warm day = 100% chance of heatstroke so I'll give that one a swerve if you don't mind.

I'm sure this is blindingly obvious, and also wildly OT, but why did he die for the sins I would commit 2000 years later, why didn't he sort it so I wouldn't commit those sins?

Chocolate !

You are fully aware that the bar of chocolate is a sin, yet you still eat it.

If God had stopped everyone eating chocolate where would we be?

... apart from a few pound lighter

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You mean why didint' Jesus create an anarchist free state with no rules to break? Coz they crucified him first innit.
Wouldn't it be more like Stepford Wives with no rule breaking as you were so very very well behaved as opposed to having no rules to break? Or does that eventually mean the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom