Cycle hire/Car Hire/bus fares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have never had that in the US ever, always had an upgrade free, often they do not specifically assign you a car, they say just go to lot A, B whatever & collect one, you walk over there choose what colour & type of car as they are all parked up in their price bands. You get in a car drive to the gate, they scan your paperwork & the car, job done, you clearly go to the wrong car hire firms over there.

Alan..
Was my recent experience too, they may ask if you want an upgrade, but no obligation. Last trip was the first time I have been told to choose a car, previously I've been sent to a specific bay

I have used Alamo, Dollar, Hertz, Avis, Thrifty (who are a bit rubbish to be fair and have ancient cars so avoid)

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I pulled the plug on that car deal...It was too good to be true (after reading the small print, and then asking questions) :rolleyes:

This was the feedback I gave them when I cancelled

When booking through your website, you claim 'Full Insurance: Zero Excess' on the car choices
But then when confirmation comes through by email, the terms state 'Insurance subject to an excess: Small cars: 600eur, Family cars: 900eur, People carriers and special groups: 1500eur.'
When asking how to reduce this, you spin a line with 'If you want to reduce or remove the excess, you can usually do this by paying a supplement for SCDW (Super Collision Damage Waiver) on collection of the car. It isn’t possible to do this before' - which doesn't give a choice and relies upon customers biting the bullet when stood in the airport with the family in tow and paying many €€€€ per day for this CDW cover (whatever you decide to charge for 'peace of mind').
You are blatantly lying when enticing people to hire cars from you with your original promise.
Take me off your mailing list, I will not be hiring a car through your website in the foreseeable future.

so that is that then. If I can find a fair deal, I'll go for it, but I'm not desperate to be robbed in this way by sharks...the whole car hire business seems to be a shark infested sea :sad:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I have never had that in the US ever, always had an upgrade free, often they do not specifically assign you a car, they say just go to lot A, B whatever & collect one, you walk over there choose what colour & type of car as they are all parked up in their price bands. You get in a car drive to the gate, they scan your paperwork & the car, job done, you clearly go to the wrong car hire firms over there.

Alan..

They scanned the bar code on the car at the gate and you pay for what you take...the upgrade is never free. Have you checked your card statements ?

Read this anyway. I've rented through Dollar and Alamo, and both were sharp operators. If you pay the CDW, it means they don't go through the car with a fine tooth comb to find a way of shafting you when you can't defend yourself.

http://mythreecents.com/showReview.cgi?id=39134

vickster

Legendary Member
They scanned the bar code on the car at the gate and you pay for what you take...the upgrade is never free. Have you checked your card statements ?

Read this anyway. I've rented through Dollar and Alamo, and both were sharp operators. If you pay the CDW, it means they don't go through the car with a fine tooth comb to find a way of shafting you when you can't defend yourself.

http://mythreecents.com/showReview.cgi?id=39134
Yes - never had an issue - I have always paid in advance. The slip at the end has always read 0.00. Took the car from the selection of the ones I have paid for

I would only EVER book in advance from UK, otherwise you pay for everything and it's much more. Americans don't get insurance for their hire cars, they just use their own insurance. I expect your link is a US one.

Use a large UK company like Expedia, netflights, opodo, travelbag, flight centre etc or go directly through the car hire website. Using quidco you can often get cashback

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes I have, you agree to take a car of a certain grade, you go to a car lot that is full of cars of that grade, the keys are usually in the door, you open the car, you get in you drive away, I think you are scaremongering for some unknown reason. Have you had this actually done to you or are you just reworking an urban myth?

Alan...

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Yes I have, you agree to take a car of a certain grade, you go to a car lot that is full of cars of that grade, the keys are usually in the door, you open the car, you get in you drive away, I think you are scaremongering for some unknown reason. Have you had this actually done to you or are you just reworking an urban myth?

Alan...
Nope, i had already paid for the hire in the uk. Cdw wasn't offered at this point, but offered when i went to the hire desk to complete the paperwork. Told to go to the lot where a rep was stood there. I handed my paperwork over and he saw that i had actually gone for a small budget model. His words were 'pick any car in the lot, it's on me'. I said thanks, but i'll just go for what i've already paid for....he shrugged and pointed to a line of the smaller cars...it was a yaris. There are plenty of reports from british holidaymakers who have been shafted by this scam.

U

User33236

I had no issues in the USA with Dollar. I paid (what I consider a reasonable fee) up front, via my tour operator for a 'Chrysler Sebring of similar', all insurance and the option to return the car with an empty tank (which it nearly was).

I got to the Dollar office at Miami airport and was advised that they had no vehicles in the class I'd booked and that they would upgrade me to a Mustang at no fee. They completed the required forms and at no time asked me for any money or payment card details. The car itself had 12 miles on the clock. One week, and three tanks of gas later, I arrived back at the Dollar desk. The car was inspected as I waited and I received a receipt stating the car was returned without damage and I owed no money.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I had no issues in the USA with Dollar. I paid (what I consider a reasonable fee) up front, via my tour operator for a 'Chrysler Sebring of similar', all insurance and the option to return the car with an empty tank (which it nearly was).

I got to the Dollar office at Miami airport and was advised that they had no vehicles in the class I'd booked and that they would upgrade me to a Mustang at no fee. They completed the required forms and at no time asked me for any money or payment card details. The car itself had 12 miles on the clock. One week, and three tanks of gas later, I arrived back at the Dollar desk. The car was inspected as I waited and I received a receipt stating the car was returned without damage and I owed no money.
They don't operate that way in sanford. You are encouragrd to drop and go. No inspection. The first car i had didn't even come with a parcel shelf...it was one of those iffy pt cruisers.

U

User33236

They don't operate that way in sanford. You are encouragrd to drop and go. No inspection. The first car i had didn't even come with a parcel shelf...it was one of those iffy pt cruisers.

My sister in law used rental companies at Sanford several times a year. She tells them straight at pickup that they inspect the vehicle with her on return of they don't get the rental and gas it written into the rental terms. So far she has gad no issues.

D

Deleted member 26715

Nope, i had already paid for the hire in the uk. Cdw wasn't offered at this point, but offered when i went to the hire desk to complete the paperwork. Told to go to the lot where a rep was stood there. I handed my paperwork over and he saw that i had actually gone for a small budget model. His words were 'pick any car in the lot, it's on me'. I said thanks, but i'll just go for what i've already paid for....he shrugged and pointed to a line of the smaller cars...it was a yaris. There are plenty of reports from british holidaymakers who have been shafted by this scam.
So you have not actually been shafted/scammed/had anything bad done to you then, so this is your over fertile imagination, why do you feel the need to scare people?

Last time I hired a car out of Orlando International I had chosen the cheapest thing on offer by Budget before I went as I always did, when I got to the desk, the guy said, you know this thing has wind up windows right?, yep, you know it doesn't have aircon? yep, I can't let you have one of those, have this Nissan Altima, any extra charge? Nope. Job done. Cars are so cheap over there, they use the hire car/lease industry to generate jobs & stimulate the economy

Although now I don't have that issue as there is now a company car out there whenever I now go out.

Alan...

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

So you have not actually been shafted/scammed/had anything bad done to you then, so this is your over fertile imagination, why do you feel the need to scare people?

Last time I hired a car out of Orlando International I had chosen the cheapest thing on offer by Budget before I went as I always did, when I got to the desk, the guy said, you know this thing has wind up windows right?, yep, you know it doesn't have aircon? yep, I can't let you have one of those, have this Nissan Altima, any extra charge? Nope. Job done. Cars are so cheap over there, they use the hire car/lease industry to generate jobs & stimulate the economy

Although now I don't have that issue as there is now a company car out there whenever I now go out.

Alan...

Not at all....it isn't up to the dude stood in the lot pointing you at the cars who decides how much money they are going to take from your card after you return it. It is the billing system which uses a barcode on the car, your credit car, and the tariff which is applied to that particular car which you agree to hire when you leave the compound.

There are many many instances on trip advisor of people being scammed by the hire companies. I might actually suggest that your attitude of all people in the hire industry being nice people is one you should not propagate to unsuspecting prospects.

The scams are in the fine print, and the 'free upgrades'. They either shaft you on the CDW, or the disproportionately high cost of fuel which you are forced to buy a full tank of irrespective of whether you use it or not....and then empty your bank account after the event.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g28930-i18-k5464804-Alamo_Car_Rental_Sanford-Florida.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo..._fort_lauderdale-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...8-Alamo_Car_Hire_Florida-Orlando_Florida.html

D

Deleted member 26715

**Yawn** bored now with your delusions I'm moving on

Alan...

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought you were renting a car in Mallorca not Florida?

I have never had any issue in the US, rented 15+ cars if not more. Granted not out of Orlando for many years but I have out of Miami, Tampa and Fort Myers (as well as in Texas, Georgia, New Jersey, N Carolina, California, Nevada, Arizona, Boston among others)

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I thought you were renting a car in Mallorca not Florida?

I have never had any issue in the US, rented 15+ cars if not more. Granted not out of Orlando for many years but I have out of Miami, Tampa and Fort Myers (as well as in Texas, Georgia, New Jersey, N Carolina, California, Nevada, Arizona, Boston among others)

All have an angle in the small print. Either you pay for a full tank of fuel (at their inflated rates per litre) irrespective of whether you use it or not, or you get conned with a CDW. I spent a couple of hours this morning looking at rentals....they all operate the same way (underhand)..even when they claim they don't on the websites.

Top Bottom