Cycle lane hall of shame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...2&ll=53.409361,-2.98573&spn=0,359.997624&z=19

This road is one-way going in the opposite direction, and the road at the end is one-way going right. This is in the middle of town, the roads of often busy so leaving the cycle lane you're going to be riding the wrong way down a one-way street.

edit - that's not my bike by the way ;)

HJ said:
How about this one, I have never under stood the point of the cycle lane leading into Lady Lawson Street, note the cars are legally parked (if you follow Streetview they disappear, but you can see where the cycle lane ends)...
Is it supposed to be a contraflow, cars can only go down the street but bikes can go up it ;)

Edit: I had a look at the bottom of the street if it is its not clear :rofl::wacko:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
Is it supposed to be a contraflow, cars can only go down the street but bikes can go up it ;)

Edit: I had a look at the bottom of the street if it is its not clear :rofl::wacko:

No the cycle lane is only about 15m at the top of the street, there is no space for a contraflow in the rest of the street...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
HJ said:
No the cycle lane is only about 15m at the top of the street, there is no space for a contraflow in the rest of the street...

You don't have to have just a 'lane' to be contraflow, there are some examples of contraflow 'roads' where there is no lane and cycles go both ways and motorised traffic goes just one way. They aren't very common though.

Whatever that is supposed to be though, it's not very clear at all.

marinyork said:
You don't have to have just a 'lane' to be contraflow, there are some examples of contraflow 'roads' where there is no lane and cycles go both ways and motorised traffic goes just one way. They aren't very common though.

One that springs to mind is this road but its clearer defined.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's not mad, mad, awful but this is one of my favourites that I come across regularly in rotherham

The really weird bit is they didn't do it to all bus stops on that road, just some of them... not very clever winding up motorists.

Hmmm, I wonder what cross hatching could mean ;).

Actually, nearly forgot, this one is really my favourite. How many cobbled contraflow cycle lanes are there in the world :rofl:? The really amusing thing was that before they did it it wasn't cobbled but some numpty decided to go for the cobbles and then red ones for the cycle lane, at huge cost.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HJ said:

marinyork said:

I see your point, but in this case there is no contraflow for cycles, it is just a one way street, with a totally pointless separated cycle lane at the start. Not only is there no need for the cycle lane, but it is frequently blocked by cars parking quite legally in the parking bay at the exit to the lane. In this case the car is parked tight to the kerb, but normally they are further out, which prevents cyclist from exiting... ;)

I'm currently staying with my parents (got to love uni holidays) and it's the first time I've brought my bike back with me. I spotted this wonderful use of East Cambs. District Council's resources on my way to the shops this morning.

27212_10150179337480417_701500416_12920687_1650357_n.jpg

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
This one a Dagenham, starts off being a good idea. But you have to weave round the peds who walk on the cycle half, despite it being green with cycles painted on it. Then it dumps you on the main road in the bus lane. Note that it finishes just after a bend in the road and hidden by bushes. It isn't too bad during the day as you can see the buses coming. After 19:00 cars can use the bus lane and they are hidden from cyclist by the bushes.

on the road

Über Member
automatic_jon said:
I'm currently staying with my parent (got to love uni holidays) and it's the first time I've brought my bike back with me. I spotted this wonderful use of East Cambs. District Council's resources on my way to the shops this morning.

27212_10150179337480417_701500416_12920687_1650357_n.jpg
lol

Top Bottom