Cycle lane hall of shame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just to mix it up a bit, I pass this every day. Reject the pavement, I bring you the pedestrian farcility!

This is fairly typical of this industrial park, where the car is most definitely king. Have a look up this road because you'll get to see some cracking NCN 23 farcilities as well.

dodgy

goo_mason said:
A useless waste of space of a lane along beside Ocean Terminal in Leith:

IMG_0221.JPG

which ends where you see it here:

The painted bike in the lane above, is that one of those bikes that can go forwards or backwards?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mike.pembo said:
Out of interest, a mandatory cycle lane should not be entered / parked in by vehicles - but what about ones that overlap a junction like this one:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFqV6dcQ44

There are a few around where I live that only become mandatory at a junction.

There's no such thing as a "mandatory cycle lane". Broken lanes shouldn't be either, unfortunately there's pretty much no enforcement even if you have double yellows all the way along on top. That's just the way it goes in this country.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes there are mandatory cycle lanes - they aren't mandatory for cyclists to use, but they are mandatory for motor vehicles not to enter.

marinyork

BentMikey said:
Yes there are mandatory cycle lanes - they aren't mandatory for cyclists to use, but they are mandatory for motor vehicles not to enter.

No, they are cycle lanes with solid lines. They would be 'mandatory' not to enter whether they were cycle lanes or not. It's very bad nomenclature as it suggests that the other ones motorists are free to do whatever they like.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, that's what they are called, whether or not you like it. I don't understand why anyone would worry, because there's no enforcement, and besides which they are largely useless for us cyclists. They mark only one of the most dangerous places on the road to ride in.

marinyork

BentMikey said:
Well, that's what they are called, whether or not you like it. I don't understand why anyone would worry, because there's no enforcement, and besides which they are largely useless for us cyclists. They mark only one of the most dangerous places on the road to ride in.

Actually they are very rarely referred to as that. There is no enforcement of any cycle lane but there you go. It's not really for me to join in the 'they're sh*t' debate but some people may want to use them.

There are some very silly ones built around the land though.

Norm

marinyork said:
No, they are cycle lanes with solid lines.
Whilst not strictly part of this discussion, I get riled with the solid lines thing because I encounter very few people who know what they are for.

[rant]
Solid lines should not be crossed.

It's quite easy, solid lines should not be crossed.

They don't mean "no overtaking" as you can sometimes overtake without crossing them.

They don't mean "stay in this lane unless that lane is moving faster", as most people take them to mean when joining motorways.

They don't mean dodge into and out of a bus lane depending on whether you've caught sight of your friend on the opposite pavement.

And, they don't mean "free parking".
[/rant]

Bollo said:
Just to mix it up a bit, I pass this every day. Reject the pavement, I bring you the pedestrian farcility!
Bollo, do you work for De La Rue?

marinyork

Absolutely Norm. But it's quite telling that even those, LAs are so unconfident about a part of the law that they still have to enforce them with double yellows/clearways!! Then there's the logistics of enforcing them, I know one where the traffic wardens take half an hour to get up to the area and people know this so happily park up right in the rush hour :biggrin:.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Norm said:
Solid lines should not be crossed.

It's quite easy, solid lines should not be crossed.

And what about cyclists inside the mandatory cycle lane? Or buses, cyclists, or taxis in bus lanes with solid white lines?

Norm

Passing stationary vehicles (or cyclists doing under 10mph) is allowed, for example, which is why I said "should" not "must". :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Norm said:
Passing stationary vehicles (or cyclists doing under 10mph) is allowed, for example, which is why I said "should" not "must". :biggrin:

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. BM is asking about cycle lanes marked by a solid white line, you seem to be talking about solid white lines down the middle of the road....

The point being, motor vehicles should not enter a cycle lane marked with a solid line (unless they really have to, or there's a y in the day), but a cyclist is at liberty to enter and exit it as they need to, I think.

oh, hang on, are you talking about a cyclist overtaking a car parked in a lane? I think a cyclist is allowed to cross a solid bike lane line at any time, not just to overtake....

I'll have to check now.

Arch

Married to Night Train
from rule 63 (my bold)

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

That suggests to me that a cyclist may move in and out of the lane at will (albeit with care, of course).

Ah, this should be our mantra....

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.

Although 'unless it is unavoidable' seems to offer a huge big get out. But occifer, it was unavoidable, or I'd have had to walk 10 yards to the chip shop...'

Top Bottom