Cycle Lanes - And 'law'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Whilst wearing my pedants hat may I just point out that the original post mentions neither driving nor having a licence.

Perhaps it time you went back to school to pick up some tips on comprehension.

Edited to include: Welcome Donnydarko. Not everyone is quite as arsey.

They do say that collies are a smart breed. I guess this is some evidence to confirm that.

byegad

Legendary Member
It is not compulsory for a cyclist to use a cycle lane. Indeed, I believe it is only recommended to use them below a certain speed (14mph)? Many cycle lanes are full of road debris, disintegrated tarmac and grids. Unsafe at high speeds.

Most of the ones I know are full of parked cars.

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

Easy now!

I think I've been taken the wrong way a bit here.

I'll come back tomorrow and re-read this perhaps I did sound unfair or something.

Though the main help I needed here was the bike choices and any info on the cycle to work scheme if you can help with that for me.

Whilst wearing my pedants hat may I just point out that the original post mentions neither driving nor having a licence.

Perhaps its time you read some of the other parallel threads DD launched at the same time and picked up some tips on getting the full picture before making judgement.

They included:

- do commuting cyclists hold up traffic
- isn't it illegal to not cycle in the cycle lane
- isn't it illegal to ride two abreast
- isn't it illegal to have flashing LED lights on your bike.

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

Thanks Colly.

Means a lot buddy.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

Perhaps its time you read some of the other parallel threads DD launched at the same time and picked up some tips on getting the full picture before making judgement.

They included:

- do commuting cyclists hold up traffic
- isn't it illegal to not cycle in the cycle lane
- isn't it illegal to ride two abreast
- isn't it illegal to have flashing LED lights on your bike.

All valid threads being a motorist about to venture into the cycling on the road world I believe?

Why would I come across as a cyclist (on-road one at least) when I'm still driving the car?

That would be pedantic to say the least. Surely?

Please keep the thread on-topic though. No need to start an argument over little old me. :smile:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I recall watching a video where an American cyclist was stopped by a traffic officer and told to get off the road. The officer asked the cyclist for their details and then went about telling them why they shouldnt be on the road. The cyclist informed the officer that he was allowed on the road and the officer then started to threaten the cyclist if he didnt do as the officer said.
I think the cyclist had had enough of trying to reason with this officer and just took his number, cycled down the cycle path, and went to the local police station later on.
I dont know if the officer was dealt with in any way.

America is different to this country though. Here you are allowed to ride on any road except motorways (with the acception of parts of A roads (like the A55)).

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

I'm from the UK though. I did say 'law'? with a question mark in the thread title and when I said 'jay cycling' I put it in inverted comas to make sure I didn't come across as I thought that was what it would actually be called.

What I was asking has been answered though It think. They're just not law and it's okay to ride beside them on the road. No matter what the reason they were put in there for in the first place.

I think we have the A500 locally that can't be rode on with bicycles. Or anything less than 125cc motorbike-wise providing you're not on a provisional. I guess there is a class of roads like that?

Is it 50mph or more and you're not allowed on a 50cc or push bike?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

Well on the A55 near me, my local club used to have time trials on it. They have stopped though as it has been ruled as unsafe.
The road was national speed limit so I dont entirely know why it was only a selection of the dual carrageway which we were allowed on.

Norm

Absolutely not. Motorways don't allow cyclists or motorbikes/mopeds under 50cc, unless there are specific regulations to the contrary, all other roads are available to us. :becool:

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

Yeah but is it the rule in general is if the road is 50mph or more, you can't go on it?

So not just motorways per se, but we have the A500 you can't go on, as it's 50mph. But the A34 you can, as it's 40mph mostly (at least all near me).

I did know you couldn't go on the motorways though. Worth doubly-noting there as I've been knocked a bit already on here lol. Don't want ppl to think I am a troll.

Top Bottom