Cycle Lanes - And 'law'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonnyDarko

If there is a cycle lane, is it law (or in the highway code) that the cyclist shouldn't be on the road?

Sort of perhaps jay-cycling? - For want of a better word.

Anybody got any technical info on this by chance?

I'll be commuting on my bike soon and want to know the full ins and outs for the sake of safety.

Tim Hall

No. Or to expand, no you don't have to use a cycle lane.

If you want "technical info" on this, try this link

Hip Priest

Veteran
It is not compulsory for a cyclist to use a cycle lane. Indeed, I believe it is only recommended to use them below a certain speed (14mph)? Many cycle lanes are full of road debris, disintegrated tarmac and grids. Unsafe at high speeds.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It is not compulsory for a cyclist to use a cycle lane. Indeed, I believe it is only recommended to use them below a certain speed (14mph)? Many cycle lanes are full of road debris, disintegrated tarmac and grids. Unsafe at high speeds.

That is shared use pavements and cycle paths.

If there is a cycle lane, is it law (or in the highway code) that the cyclist shouldn't be on the road?

If there's a Park and Ride, is it illegal for motorists to drive in town?

Yet again it worrying that you are driving without knowing the Highway Code. Perhaps time to hand in your license and go for a retest?

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

lol @ Red Light

When I passed my test there were no cycle lanes to be fair.

And let's be honest, at least I'm asking. :biggrin:

Thanks for your help peeps I'll checkout the link.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
You are supposed to keep up to date with the Highway Code, not read it once to pass the test and then forget it.

Unfortunately, I think it is a minority of road users that do this. The majority piece together bits of hearsay, folk lore and old wives' tales to help them negotiate Britain's highways.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Sort of perhaps jay-cycling? - For want of a better word.
Everyone else is right. But also: there's no such thing as "jay walking" in UK law.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
[offtopic]

Everyone else is right. But also: there's no such thing as "jay walking" in UK law.

When I was a teenager, an old codger yanked me off my bike whilst exclaiming "F***ing jay walker!". I was baffled. I was cycling, not crossing a road, and neither of us were American.

[/offtopic]

Hip Priest

Veteran
Unfortunately, I think it is a minority of road users that do this. The majority piece together bits of hearsay, folk lore and old wives' tales to help them negotiate Britain's highways.

I learned to drive around the time that the first ASLs appeared. I remember getting beeped by an irate motorist for stopping behind the 2nd line. My instructor just said 'people tend not to keep up with new developments on the road.

Milo

Guru
MountainTroll.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Yet again it worrying that you are driving without knowing the Highway Code. Perhaps time to hand in your license and go for a retest?

Whilst wearing my pedants hat may I just point out that the original post mentions neither driving nor having a licence.

Perhaps it time you went back to school to pick up some tips on comprehension.

Edited to include: Welcome Donnydarko. Not everyone is quite as arsey.

Top Bottom