Cycle Lanes - And 'law'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If only there was an ad hoc guide to the law for road users. Perhaps in book form, or available on this new fangled interweb thing.

Indeed. Perhaps you could post the odd question on an internet forum populated in the main by people who are willing to help.

apollo179

And as you pointed out so comprehensively in some earlier threads, some cyclists take to the road completely clueless as to which laws relate to them, and even then argue that it's OK to break most of them anyway!

Well cubist so long as theres no requirement for cyclists to undergo any form of training or testing it is allways going to be the case that a large proportion of cyclists will be ignorant of the laws that relate to them.
And so long as we live in a democracy with free speech the above mentioned cyclists will be able to argue that its ok to break most of them.

Norm

I think we've already done that discussion a few times, though, let's not destroy another thread, please. :thumbsup:

Mozzy

As there is a 'MUST' element to cyclists taking to the highway (certain conditions), surely the onus is on the individual to know and do what is right? As is the case with many laws affecting daily life.

Oh I'm just off on me bike down the town centre; is there anything I should know before I do? Seems too easy to me.

Mozzy

apollo179

I think we've already done that discussion a few times, though, let's not destroy another thread, please. :thumbsup:

Ok Norm :thumbsup:
Just defending DonnyDarkos legitimacy in asking questions that some seem to think he aught to know allready.

snailracer

Über Member
As there is a 'MUST' element to cyclists taking to the highway (certain conditions), surely the onus is on the individual to know and do what is right? As is the case with many laws affecting daily life.

Oh I'm just off on me bike down the town centre; is there anything I should know before I do? Seems too easy to me.

Mozzy
As far as driving goes, safety and competence is more to do with applying the rules, rather than simply knowing them. Learners who have just passed their driving test "know" the rules better than experienced drivers - they're just not very good at applying them.

Borbus

Unfortunately, I think it is a minority of road users that do this. The majority piece together bits of hearsay, folk lore and old wives' tales to help them negotiate Britain's highways.

Yes. You don't even have to read the Highway Code to pass your test in the first place, let alone continue to study it afterwards. I find it interesting to compare Highway use to Railway (mainline) use. The rulebook for the railway is several inches thick and every driver *must* read it all and they are tested thoroughly on their knowledge of it before they can drive on the railway. The Highway Code is a tiny paperback which drivers aren't even required to own or read. Is it any wonder that so few drivers know the rules of the road?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i always keep up to date with highway code etc (helps in the job) and funnily enough there is a large section of it for cyclists http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

what always bothers me is the cycle lanes the council put around parking bays clearly putting you in the door zone!

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
If there is a cycle lane, is it law (or in the highway code) that the cyclist shouldn't be on the road?

Sort of perhaps jay-cycling? - For want of a better word.

Anybody got any technical info on this by chance?

I'll be commuting on my bike soon and want to know the full ins and outs for the sake of safety.

FFS 3 questions this morning?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+the+highway+code

Mozzy

That was slick, not seen that done before.
thumbsup.png

Mozzy

Dan_h

But isn't the point if these forums to give people somewhere to ask questions? I only googled the question about whether you have to use cycle paths a few months ago when someone yelled out of the car window at me to get on the cycle path. Peronally I have a driving license and a motorcycle license. I have been driving for about 20 years and worked as a driver for a few years. I seriously cant remember when I last read the highway code. Asking around most people I know have not read the highway code since passing their tests.

apollo179

I too was defending his right to ask questions. I do not however condone breaking the law, either knowingly, or through ignorance.

As far as i am aware no-one is condoning breaking the law, either knowingly, or through ignorance. We seem to be agreeing that so long as theres no requirement for cyclists to undergo any form of training or testing there is allways going to be a large proportion of cyclists ignorant of the laws that relate to them. And therefore ipso facto they should be encouraged to ask questions and minimalise aforementioned ignorance.

snailracer

Über Member
Well cubist so long as theres no requirement for cyclists to undergo any form of training or testing it is allways going to be the case that a large proportion of cyclists will be ignorant of the laws that relate to them.
And so long as we live in a democracy with free speech the above mentioned cyclists will be able to argue that its ok to break most of them.

[QUOTE 1588136"]
Ignorance is no defence in law, so it's the responsibility of all road users to know the laws which apply to them. That's all.
[/quote]

OK, the HC also has rules for pedestrians (1-35). Yet, I cannot quite bring myself to criticise pedestrians for not being familiar with the HC or the laws that underpin it.

Top Bottom