Cycle Lanes - And 'law'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
didnt know the light wasnt working.

Which was ignorance of fact, not ignorance of the law.
Ignorance of fact is a defence, ignorance of the law is not.

A month or two ago you admitted on the forum that you were unaware that the Road Traffic Act applied to cyclists. Has anything in particular led to your becoming a legal expert?

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588169"]
And your example of how powerful ignorance is in escaping conviction is you not realising your rear light wasn't working?

Yup. You win.
[/quote]

Its not about winning. Its about correcting you in your repeated assertion "ignorance is no excuse". The danger being that if you repeat it often enough and it dosnt get corrected someone might actually beleive it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Its not about winning. Its about correcting you in your repeated assertion "ignorance is no excuse". The danger being that if you repeat it often enough and it dosnt get corrected someone might actually beleive it.
may I just say that ignorance is no excuse?

Cubist

Still wavin'

Is there anything anyone can do to convince you you are wrong?

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

It appears that you believe wholeheartedly that you are right, but surely some alarm bells are ringing somewhere if everybody is telling you the same thing?

I'm going to withdraw as well, as I have done what I can to persuade you to stop making a fool of yourself. The rest is up to you.

apollo179

Which was ignorance of fact, not ignorance of the law.
Ignorance of fact is a defence, ignorance of the law is not.

A month or two ago you admitted on the forum that you were unaware that the Road Traffic Act applied to cyclists. Has anything in particular led to your becoming a legal expert?

Agreed.
Ignorance is not a defence.
Mtpaul was stating "ignorance is no excuse".
However ignorance can be powerful mitigation ( excuse ) in sentencing and in cases just being dropped.
We seem to agree that ignorance of fact is an excuse / defence.
I would also add that although ignorance of the law cannot be a defence it can be an excuse.

apollo179

Is there anything anyone can do to convince you you are wrong?

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

It appears that you believe wholeheartedly that you are right, but surely some alarm bells are ringing somewhere if everybody is telling you the same thing?

I'm going to withdraw as well, as I have done what I can to persuade you to stop making a fool of yourself. The rest is up to you.

You just have a grudge against me personally and leap at any chance to attack me regardless of the facts. I shudder to think what you get up to in a professional capacity with such a unsavoury character.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would also add that although ignorance of the law cannot be a defence it can be an excuse.
that might run if the law in question was some obscure regulation, bound up in legal language that only twelve people in the world could ever understand, but the Highway Code, which explains the most important parts of the Road Traffic Act, is readily available, easily read, and widely publicised.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You just have a grudge against me personally and leap at any chance to attack me regardless of the facts. I shudder to think what you get up to in a professional capacity with such a unsavoury character.

People come onto this forum to ask questions. You have, on a number of occasions, given what looks like authoritative advice on points of law. I can point to several examples where you are, simply, wrong.

I'm imploring you to find out the truth of a matter before you start expounding on it.

This thread above is one of a numberl where you have attacked my personal and professional integrity. I have not, nor will I ever enter into a debate on that subject.

apollo179

that might run if the law in question was some obscure regulation, bound up in legal language that only twelve people in the world could ever understand, but the Highway Code, which explains the most important parts of the Road Traffic Act, is readily available, easily read, and widely publicised.

Agreed - special circumstances ;
law changed where the infringers were (with reason) unaware of change.
Infringers misguided by authorities (led to think something was legal but actually it was not)
Person enters into a new legal jurisdiction.
Again in all cases (above included) ignorance (of the law) is not a defence but it can be mitigation / excuse.

apollo179

People come onto this forum to ask questions. You have, on a number of occasions, given what looks like authoritative advice on points of law. I can point to several examples where you are, simply, wrong.

I'm imploring you to find out the truth of a matter before you start expounding on it.

This thread above is one of a numberl where you have attacked my personal and professional integrity. I have not, nor will I ever enter into a debate on that subject.

I from the start have said Ignorance is not a defence.
Mtpaul was stating "ignorance is no excuse".
I queried this and you took it as an opportunity to attack me - at least be honest and admit your actions are clouded by an agenda against me personally.

OP
OP
D

DonnyDarko

Please don't argue on my account. I asked the question and got the response I needed. It's nice to see most of you handle such threads professionally but I could see such arguing putting some newer members off coming back.

Not me mind. I'm used to it, I'm part of a few forums and have been for years.

Either way, sorted now. I understand what the crack is. Thanks to all contributors of the thread.

Woz!

The attitude displayed in this thread and on CC in general certainly makes me pause before I post anything and has made my visits more and more rare.
It's getting less and less welcoming.

Top Bottom