Cycle Lanes - And 'law'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
[QUOTE 1588148"]
HC rules and the law aren't necessarily the same. Which laws do you think apply to pedestrians do you think that they should be exempt from due to ignorance? I'm not being awkward, just interested.
[/quote]
Well, as far as civil cases go, adherence to the rules in the HC are the basis of assigning liability, no criminal law needs to have been broken.

But to answer your question:

16 Moving vehicles. You MUST NOT get onto or hold onto a moving vehicle.
18 You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.
34 Railway level crossings. You MUST NOT cross or pass a stop line when the red lights show
, (including a red pedestrian figure)

Rule 34 is an interesting one because AFAIK it is not illegal for peds to "jump" red lights at road junctions, PELICAN crossings, etc.

headcoat

Über Member
Here you are allowed to ride on any road except motorways (with the acception of parts of A roads (like the A55)).

Slightly off topic :smile: I saw a horse and cart on the A55 yesterday
wacko.gif
Don't know how safe they felt.

snailracer

Über Member
[QUOTE 1588152"]
I think that the regulations for railways are quite different.

I think that the general laws for pedestrians are common sense and/or generally socially accepted, so again ignorance is no excuse.
[/quote]
Well I, for one, had no idea that jumping on/off a moving Routemaster bus was illegal - I thought it was just good, clean fun :tongue:.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588152"]
I think that the regulations for railways are quite different.

I think that the general laws for pedestrians are common sense and/or generally socially accepted, so again ignorance is no excuse.
[/quote]

Before you get overly carried away with your "ignorance is no excuse" mantra.
The idea that ignorance is no defence is a fundamental principles of our legal system , however in practice ignorance can be considered as mitigation in sentencing and can be a consideration in legal action not being pursued at all.
So ignorance is no defense but it certainly is an excusing factor in certain instances.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588157"]
Ignorance is no excuse. Mitigation comes after conviction.

And the example you are using?...
[/quote]

I think you mean that ignorance is no legal defence.
However ignorance can be powerful mitigation ( excuse ) in sentencing and in cases just being dropped.
Do you dispute this ?
I see no point in spouting on adnauseum, giving examples etc etc unless you actually dispute this.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588159"]
No, I don't.

I can't dispute something that you're not saying. Feel free to give the example that leads you to your view. If not, or if it's not relevant to the thread, then don't.

[/quote]

Im saying ignorance can be powerful mitigation ( excuse ) in sentencing and in cases just being dropped.
Do you dispute this?
I was speaking generally but if you want an example - i was recently stopped by a police car cos i had no rear light. I said i didnt know and repaired the light so that it worked. The police were satisfied and no further action was taken.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588162"]
You didn't know it was illegal to ride without a rear light, or you didn't know it wasn't working?

[/quote]

didnt know the light wasnt working.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588164"]
So you weren't ignorant of what was right and wrong then.
[/quote]

Ignorance was my excuse.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1588167"]
You're getting muddled. You knew it was wrong. The police knew it was wrong. The officer showed discretion, because you said you didn't know it was broken.
[/quote]

You made the statement "Ignorance is no excuse."
Obviously ignorance is a powerful mitigating factor in both sentencing and prosecution .
Common sense.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 1588173"]
Dunno, but spitting is out.
[/quote]

What about if you are talking and you accidentally spit at someone with the close relationship between tongue and teeth?

Top Bottom