Cycle lanes and negotiation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

buggi said:
You know... the way you have written this argument against cycle lanes is probably one of the best ways i've heard it put. You've hit the nail exactly on the head, and i'm going to use this when i right to my MP about why i think cycle lanes should be scrapped.

Thanks Buggi. It came to me when I was cycling to work. In certain sections I feel force into the lanes, when ideally I'd rather be a foot further out. It then occurred to me why this happens.

My MP will be one of those included in the carbon copies, but I suspect a newspaper might sneak in as well....:rolleyes:

RRCC

Guru
magnatom said:
....and how does one, encourage or even request a road safety audit? Can this be done?

Highways authorities are public bodies, so subject to the Freedom of information act, all you have to do is make a request in writing. Be very specific and they will produce it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
This is one of your more thoughtful posts, Mags and I agree with you that claiming road space is often made more difficult by cycle lanes (although it’s not always easy without cycle lanes either) as they can cultivate/reinforce territorial behaviour in both motorists and cyclists – this means that “negotiation” is made more complex and open to misunderstanding as cycle lanes change how cyclists and drivers interact. What’s more, a change in the road conditions i.e. a poor cycle lane is often not perceived as crappy infrastructure by drivers - the problem is transferred to the cyclist who suffers a close overtake or a beep for transgressing. It’s not just road markings though, territorial behaviour is also a result of how motorists view themselves, their car and the space around them – the roads are where the public and private intersect. Studies have examined how drivers deal with feeling both insulated and invaded when they drive and how this negatively affects driving behaviour.

Armegatron

I was riding with my Fiancee last week, and not being from the area I was very annoyed when we came up to this:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=9QvbFDcpvNks5Fs-fdyYbA&cbp=12,11.16,,0,22.22

Now, I had to tell her to NOT use the cycle lane that is on the ground as I saw it as dangerous... thankfully she listened and I took the lead so she could follow my line.

The cycle facilities in Scarborough up to that point were very good, but a facility like this is going to annoy drivers when a cyclist doesnt use it, and in my opinion if the cyclist does use it then they are an after thought for a driver exiting the RAB.

So, Maggers, Im with you ;)

Top Bottom