Cycle lanes with broken lines...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Yes. They are completely without purpose or value.

Dyke Road and Dyke Road Avenue in Brighton/Hove are a prime example, I take great pleasure in claiming the primary position when the cagers dump their cages in the 'cycle lane'. Sorry for the localised rant!

Cab

Naah, generally if there are any parked cars in the cycle lane they're worse than useless. Somehow the motorists expect us to stay in a cycle lane even if that would mean constantly moving in and out inbetween parked cars. All that lane changing, in traffic, it isn't just tiresome it can be dangerous.

Cab

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Not to mention it encourages cagers to shout at you for not riding in a straight line!!

Indeed. Theres a cycle lane just like this down the road from here. Parked cars all over it, made worse by having a whole load of kids using it to get to school, riding very timidly in the cycle lane and either pavement hopping or giving way to cars in the main lane of traffic rather than just stay in the road. And as so many 'cyclists' are acting thus, many motorists get angry at those cyclists who quite correctly do not.

GrahamG

Guru
If it has a broken line it is an 'advisory cycle lane' - that is not what it sounds like, it simply indicates that there is no legal enforcement for it (as stated above, pretty pointless/useless). Those with solid lines are 'compulsory cycle lanes' i.e. it has a traffic regulation order in place for parking restrictions so that any vehicle contravening that order (parking in it) is an enforcible offence.

wafflycat

GrahamG said:
If it has a broken line it is an 'advisory cycle lane' - that is not what it sounds like, it simply indicates that there is no legal enforcement for it (as stated above, pretty pointless/useless). Those with solid lines are 'compulsory cycle lanes' i.e. it has a traffic regulation order in place for parking restrictions so that any vehicle contravening that order (parking in it) is an enforcible offence.

OOH! Apologies in advance for being picky...

They aren't 'compulsory' in any way. They are mandatory cycle lanes, mandated for use only by pedal cycles, with no motorised traffic allowed. Sorry but IMO the use of the word compulsory in relation to cycle farcilities makes my hackles rise as it smacks of the 'get in the cycle lane!' cry of too many a motorised moron. There is no compulsion about them, we don't have to use *any* farcility.

Ta. Normal service will now be resumed :biggrin:

Cab

Mandatory is almost as bad, people hear the term and believe its mandatory for cyclists to be in the lanes.

wafflycat

Cab said:
Mandatory is almost as bad, people hear the term and believe its mandatory for cyclists to be in the lanes.

I agree. :biggrin: But mandatory is the correct term, whereas 'compulsory' is not.

At least the HC is now clearer than it used to be on cycle lanes & compulsion:- Rule 63 "Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer." (My bold)

Top Bottom