Cycle Parking at National Railway Museum York

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bornagain, 28 Apr 2010.

1. bornagain

bornagain New Member

Hi

I'm going to a meeting at the National Railway Museum in York on Thursday and I fancy making a ride out of it. The question is, do they have any very secure cycle parking ?

Anybody out there have an idea ?

Regards

P.

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

There are some standard Sheffield stands by the main entrance - is that secure enough? It's not a spot anyone would be passing unless they were going to the museum.

If you're going to a meeting, could you arrange to take the bike in with you?

3. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Yep, we've used them, no problems.

4. OP
    OP
    bornagain

bornagain New Member

Its a 90 mile round trip so I'd like to go on my best bike but that leaves me a lttle nervous leaving it outside in a normal bike parking area.

By the time I twigged that cycling was a possibility, the Museum has closed for the night and if i cycle I need to be leaving the house well before it opens in the morning - hence I'm in a bit of a quandry - do I take the bike and risk it, or is it better to just go in the car ?

Sitting through a full day meeting with a load of strangers in full lycra will be a bit odd...so perhaps a bike in the corner of the meeting room won't look to unusual by comparison....but will the NRM let me in with my bike ?

P

5. Arch

I have no idea - if you're at a meeting, maybe, but maybe not.

Have you got decent locks? If you have more than one, and can bring them, do. As I said, the cycle rack isn't on a main road or anything...

Alternatively, you could park it at the station and hide it among the massed bikes there - but I think the station would be more of a thief magnet.

6. Arch

Alas, I'll be out at work, or you could have left it in my hall....

7. OP
    OP
    bornagain

bornagain New Member

Arch

Thanks of the info.

If the late night weather forecast looks good then I think I'll chance it and stroll in looking confident.....It surprising what a bit of cheek can a achieve.

P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice