Cycle Paths - More of a Hiderance than a help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Where I work, I can only think of one highway engineer who cycles and I'm the only transport planner who cycles in!!

Its not just engineers though who are responsible for what goes in - its transport planning and development control as well. York's Local Transport Plan has a target in that "75% of new developments to contribute either physically or financially to pedestrian, cycle or public transport networks". That target is no doubt going to be influencing what's happening on the ground.

Arch said:
Yup, many cycle 'facilities' are rubbish, and designed by non-cyclists. I wonder how many road engineers don't drive?

Here's my video of three daft ones - only one is actually dangerous, but the third one sums up the idea that bikes somehow ought to mix with pedestrians rather than traffic. And as has been said, that idea then leads drivers to think that we shouldn't be on the road...

Apparently, the city engineers consulted on that last one, which is on a brand spanking new road, and then just ignored everything they had been told..

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
So, if you can manage, it, can you do a "split screen" effect? Using the bike lane on the left, not using on the right?

Or maybe cut back and forth between them, all thrash metal music and rapid progress, mixing it with the traffic, filtering to the front, trackstanding and haring away on green (you can do trackstands, right?) for the "not using" version, easy listening lift music, helmet camera glancing at watch, tapping fingers, and a leisurely tootling away from the toucan, with the camera bumping up and down the kerbs for the "using" version?

You can do this Arch - let's see it! (But I want a mention in the credits if you do).

Oh, wow. What an idea. I fear the one hitch may be the split screen thing - I'm not sure Movie Maker can do that. Friends have been telling me I should get a better movie package...

Um, trackstands. yeah.. Um... right...

No, I can't do them.

Do complain.........

Some councils do listen.

Going into Fareham is a dual carriageway at "Cams Hall" which had a cycle path that was unusable. Even when free of the local school kids there were over 20 pieces of street furniture - it was a slalom course.

A reply to a letter complaining cyclist weren't using in got results, and it is now free of the obstacles - credit to Fareham Borough Council!

PS

Just how do you trackstand a Trike?

Tetedelacourse

The OP is a case of disgusting behaviour on the part of the motorist(s) in question.

I am of the opinion that there is no place for cycle lanes in cities. I can't think of an example where a cyclist should not use the road. I do think cycle PATHs are a good idea though, for kids and weekend jollies for casual cyclists.

I would suggest, however, that any complaint to a local authority should be made on grounds of safety and not inconvenience. And as Cuno says, let them know about it. Some of them do act.

Arch

Married to Night Train
des said:
The problem with lanes of the like that 3rd one that Arch outlines in his video

Hee hee, only just noticed this. I'm glad my posting style is still gender-neutral enough...
;)

Mind you, des is very new, I see... Probably hasn't come across me and Patrick in full flow...

Blonde

There's an odd cycle lane on Oxford Road near Manchester city centre - it takes cyclists off the road before traffic lgihts and dumps them back on it immeditely after the lights but before the actual junction so they can't see the lights change and have to chance it with oncoming/turning traffic anyway. Very odd and encourages RLJ as you cant see the lights if you use the lane. I have never used that lane. I find it is generally safer for me to use the road, though I occasionally benefit from some cycle lanes when stationary traffic blocks the road but there is oncoming traffic, so I can't pass easily or safely on the outside. In that instance I use them, but you have to be very cautious and slow. Thay are so narrow you have to go very slowly anyway and vehicles stopped or parked in the lane or turning into and out of side roads and concealed entrances/driveways are a hazard.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Um, trackstands. yeah.. Um... right...

No, I can't do them.

Neither can I.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Arch said:
Yup, many cycle 'facilities' are rubbish, and designed by non-cyclists. I wonder how many road engineers don't drive?

Here's my video of three daft ones - only one is actually dangerous, but the third one sums up the idea that bikes somehow ought to mix with pedestrians rather than traffic. And as has been said, that idea then leads drivers to think that we shouldn't be on the road...

Apparently, the city engineers consulted on that last one, which is on a brand spanking new road, and then just ignored everything they had been told..

Nice video. The sadness of the third one is double fold. £2.7 million pounds was spent on the road. Secondly James St was blocked off before so used to be great to cycle along like the old underpass bit etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Nice video. The sadness of the third one is double fold. £2.7 million pounds was spent on the road. Secondly James St was blocked off before so used to be great to cycle along like the old underpass bit etc.

Cheers... The downside of the old James Street though, was the travellers' camp at the end and the awful Foss Islands cycle route - always covered in glass and dog poo and with some of the narrowest anti moped gates I've ever seen... I haven't checked out how the route now connects with the whole James Street fiasco...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Oh yes absolutely about the camp and things. I stopped using it when they started buillding the link road though because everytime I went on there travellers were breaking into the building site and using their mini motos to do stunts and then came roaring out at great speed. Sadly my complaints fell on deaf ears and I stopped using it. I went on the new route after it was finished to reach the same conclusions as you.

The second one on fulford road has a lot of memories! A lot of my friends lived on St Oswalds Rd. It's not actually pointless, just very badly designed. The reason it is there is to join the end of the riverside cycle path which comes out on St Oswald's (which is why there's one on the other side too) which is why it suddenly stops. It's badly designed because if you were going down broadway and then wanted to get onto the river cycle path any sane person would go straight on onto broadway west rather than going left/right. The junction where the cycle lane ends is where my gf's car was written off too!

Top Bottom