Cycle Paths - More of a Hiderance than a help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
The second one on fulford road has a lot of memories! A lot of my friends lived on St Oswalds Rd. It's not actually pointless, just very badly designed. The reason it is there is to join the end of the riverside cycle path which comes out on St Oswald's (which is why there's one on the other side too) which is why it suddenly stops. It's badly designed because if you were going down broadway and then wanted to get onto the river cycle path any sane person would go straight on onto broadway west rather than going left/right. The junction where the cycle lane ends is where my gf's car was written off too!

Huh! Colleague of mine lives in St Oswalds Hall - the old church down the bottom of the road...

Yeah, I hadn't twigged why it ends where it does - good point, and as you say, a bit stupid. Especially as if you came down Broadway and wanted the riverside path and went left to go down St Ossies, you'd be probably be doubling back at the bottom, because the riverside path goes into town from there, not out (well, you can go along by the moorings and boat club, but it's not a great surface for a bike)

Just to inform this thread, I have now set up a YouTube group titled badcyclelanes http://uk.youtube.com/group/badcyclelanes

This should make it easy for you to share you bad cycle lane videos.

So come on all you helmet camera owners (and video mobile phone owners as well!), get out there video the crazy cycle paths and add them to our collection (yes 2 isn't a collection but we have to start somewhere!)

atbman

Veteran
doyler78 said:
There is a section of the road of belfast towards carryduff which has basically got a painted red section right at the kerb which is now designated as cycle path. It can't be more than 1/2 foot wide as it runs right next to the edge of the kerb no one in their right mind would ride it. Even non cyclists have commented on how dangerous it looks.
No one who cycles on the paths use the cycle lane presumably because they are of the same opinion as myself that it is plain unsafe. This has not provided a satisfactory outcome for anyone ie pedestrians, cyclists or motorists.

They were rebuilding the whole footpath and road surfacing on this section of the road therefore why they couldn't have built a segregated cyclepath at road level which had a small kerb at either side to seperate it from the road and pedestrians. They were having to put this features in anyway given the rebuilding but there seems to be this notion that cycle paths have to be shared use which rarely are used by regular cyclists and which pedestrians walk over anyway.

I just don't know what gets into peoples heads when they are spending our money - wastefully in this case.

I suspect (know) that they are in breach of guidelines for cycling infrastructure. Contact Highways Department + your ward councillors and ask how they assessed this design with regard to the advice in "Cycle-Friendly Infrastructure" and the IHT Cycle Review and Cycle Audit process.

If they cannot show a paper trail which demonstrates how they did the above (which they won't be able to), ask your councillors to raise this in committee as the "facility" is inadequate, potentially hazardous and leads to other road users abusing riders who don't use it.

Use the local media to publicise/support your campaign; photo it and send it to the Warrington site already mentioned; get other riders to gather at the site to protest; etc., etc.

Top Bottom