cycle paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Retribution03

No doubt this as been covered before but I want my own thread for a rant lol when riding on cycle paths that have one side for bikes and one side for pedestrians why do the latter insist on walking on my side even when they see me coming and when the dogs are on a leash they don't get the dog out of my lane until I'm right on top of them..I don't go speeding down them but I don't want to come to a neat stop because of someone's ignorance.loose dogs I don't mind slowing right down for as they can change direction at any time and don't expect them to know where they are lol

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
cycle paths that have one side for bikes and one side for pedestrians

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that it was only cyclists who were constrained to stay on their side of the line, whereas pedestrians are entitled to walk on any part of the path.

OP
OP
Retribution03

Retribution03

You may be right but the blue signs clearly show pedestrians on one side cyclist on the other so if they are allowed over the line then they may as well do away with cycle paths and we can all get off and walk....I meant slow right down for dogs on the loose.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The blue signs are pretty generic and often don't reflect the situation on the actual path in use, also signs might show cyclists on the right, with pedestrians on the left, but the same sign is displayed in both directions. Not all paths have any segregation, in these cases a keep left policy seems to work mostly (there will always be people oblivious to any system in use and will carry on regardless).

Peteaud

Veteran
This one (local to me) will drive you nuts then.
illminster.jpg

Katherine

Guru
No doubt this as been covered before but I want my own thread for a rant lol when riding on cycle paths that have one side for bikes and one side for pedestrians why do the latter insist on walking on my side even when they see me coming and when the dogs are on a leash they don't get the dog out of my lane until I'm right on top of them..I don't go speeding down them but I don't want to come to a neat stop because of someone's ignorance.loose dogs I don't mind slowing right down for as they can change direction at any time and don't expect them to know where they are lol

Your picture shows a give way point on a shared path for cyclists and walkers going in both directions, so which ever way a cyclist is approaching from, they should be on the left and are supposed to pass each other on the left.
Some walkers and joggers like to face on coming cyclists which is why they are on their right.
You should always stay on the left but be prepared to go around people in your path. When I'm approaching people from behind I always shout that I'm passing them on their right and then pull back into the left again.

Top Bottom