Cycle phone mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

moo

It works, but don't expect a slick experience. Using 2 fingers smoothly is out of the question - you have to be quite forceful and slow. Scrolling with 1 finger works, albeit slowly. Typing slowly with 1 finger works fine tho - I send texts and search the web with phone inside.*

There is one major drawback now summer has arrived, and that's heat buildup. I wouldn't advise using the phone for long periods inside the case during hot weather. By 'using' I mean having the screen on. Background apps like Strava wont generate any real heat. I've used mine for 3+ hours with a 27c ambient.

You don't really need the stem mount. The provided one will wrap around the stem and place phone in a similar position.

*A friend just saw me type this and said he can use the phone just fine inside the case, so maybe I'm just heavy fingered :smile:

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
That's ok, as long as i can start and stop the app recording the ride, that's really all i need. I use RideWithGPS which has a clever mode where the screen only comes on when you are approaching a turn. Hopefully that should keep heat to a minimum.

I've ordered the stem mount and the 5 inch drybag 5 using ebay for a combined price of £20 delivered which is a pretty good deal.

Damn, typing an answer, but @moo has covered it thoroughly.

I've also got a Moto G, and using GSam battery monitor have seen the battery temp get over 50C. And reflection off the case makes it a little harder to read in the sunlight, but if something happened to mine, I'd buy the same case again.

(you can also snake a USB cable through the waterproof seal, if you want to use an external battery with it. I keep one in yet another topeak case.)

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
I was actually thinking i might have to fettle something to get my external battery to work with it, so i'm glad you mentioned it @jefmcg . I'll probably need something like that second case in a few months when i start doing some longer rides in prep for a long sportive that im doing.. Is it easy to access that case while on the move? I'm thinking flapjacks and jelly babies living in there maybe.

albion

Guru
I have the larger one from Lidl which is a drybag with mount good enough for a 6" phone.
There is a sort of added spring/cushioning for the base of the phone but little on top.

It is impressive for the price and seemed OK for touch operations.

Steady

Über Member
I use an old/spare smartphone that I don't care how vibration damage effects it or if it falls off and dies so I've found silicone bands to be a strong, stable and secure way of attaching the phone to the bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3214...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The 'ridge' on top side, fold the bands underneath and pull each side up the opposite side and wrap around the top/bottom of the phone and it's stable, I figure it could work horizantally on the stem but the bands work fine for a 31.8 handlebar.

Top Bottom