Cycle Rescue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
When a long and twisty bit of metal wire invisible in the road wraps itself around the hub, knackers the chain and rips off the rear mech. That bike wasn’t moving! Bad weather and a simple 2 mile bus journey home to get the car. Bike D locked to a lamppost, job was a good un. If I hadn’t been on a bus route, I would have used ETA

chris-suffolk

Was it impossible to cut the wire off, shorten the chain, ignore the rear mech, and continue as a SS?

vickster

Legendary Member
Was it impossible to cut the wire off, shorten the chain, ignore the rear mech, and continue as a SS?
For me yes :laugh: The wheel was buckled too...and I was only 2 miles from home so why would I even try?
My LBS did a lovely job fixing it. I have zero mechanical sympathy and skill. inner tubes are my limit

You can worry too much about getting home. I've had three spills and brought home by ambulance and passing motorists. Had mechanicals such as cranks coming loose, punctures, extreme bad weather, exhaustion and always managed to keep going or a call home for a pick up. All of these have been very rare, covering over 60 years of cycling. Passing cyclists will always stop and help.

Nowadays with mobile phones, it's easy to call friends or families. When I started, you had to walk to a call box and my parents didn't have a phone!
I don't think it's as straightforward for everyone as you suggest. For example, we (my wife and I) dispensed with our car 4 years ago. My only close family who live nearby (son and daughter in law) also do not have a car. If I was a long way from home (post COVID) on a solo cycle ride and not within credible walking distance to a train station I would feel very uncomfortable phoning a friend who had a car to come and collect me and my bike. Knowing all this to be my potential circumstances, I try to mitigate against it by planning my long rides (e.g. 100 miles+) to have railway stations within 8 miles maximum walking distance from my route where possible. I also try to ensure my bikes are well maintained and that I at least am capable of fixing punctures. But you can't totally plan against the unexpected e.g.a deep unseen pothole that trashes your front wheel rendering the bike unrepairable 'on the spot'.
If a taxi was the only option, I have often wondered how willing a taxi driver would be to have an oily bike loaded into their vehicle. I suspect many would understandably not be very willing. You can always ask them when phoning but it would be very demoralising and full of angst to then be faced with finding a taxi service prepared to take the bike.
For the reasons I have described, this thread has caught my interest and I feel there is definitely merit in finding and paying for a reliable and reputable 'cycle rescue service'.

Last edited:

chris-suffolk

I am with ETA. They took me back to my car when I broke a couple of spokes (pothole :cursing:) spokesman are not something that I carry about on a ride. Worth the £18 a year for peace of mind as I have nobody to call on.

Just checked, seems prices may have risen, it's £24 pa now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just checked, seems prices may have risen, it's £24 pa now.
Even so. I ride alone, a lot. 50 miles from home and a pringled wheel, or a shredded tire and have nobody on whom I could call for rescue. Knowing ETA are a call away means that I can clear off for a day’s riding without worrying.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just a general question to those who have used them, who do they use to recover their customers? They must have some form of network of contactable people

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I once had a flat out in the country. In my part of The States, it may be10 miles or so to the next town, so I always carry a lot of tubes and a repair kit. The one time I did not, I was stuck with a completely blown out tube and no signal on the smartphone. Luckily, it was mowing season, and I quickly gathered enough grass to stuff the tire. The grass was very finely milled by the time I reached home.

Top Bottom