cycle routes out of Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bedcurt

Regular
Since getting back on my bike in last 2 months I've been riding along Brighton seafront e.g rottingdean to Worthing. I'm looking for a challenging route but very nervous going through Devils dyke are there any other 'safe' routes apart from the seafront

Tim Hall

Devil's Dyke isn't anything to worry about. Dyke Road is a gentle drag up from town, then take the double roundabouts over the A27 with confidence, keeping your eyes open. Then find the best descent around as you drop down past Saddlescomb and to the A281.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yesterday I went over Devil's Dyke on a route recommended by @User13710 that goes over DD on a very nice, rideable, shared use path with a smooth constant gradient (it used to be a railway). See here.

Another gentle gradient is the A23 cycle path up to Pyecombe where there is a short sharp climb which can be walked. See here.

OP
OP
bedcurt

bedcurt

Regular
Devil's Dyke isn't anything to worry about. Dyke Road is a gentle drag up from town, then take the double roundabouts over the A27 with confidence, keeping your eyes open. Then find the best descent around as you drop down past Saddlescomb and to the A281.

I'm a little paranoid that's all I was knocked over in '94 and stopped cycling until now . Just looks scary in a car sharp turns

OP
OP
bedcurt

bedcurt

Regular
NCR2 (National Cycle Route) continues east from Rottingdean to Seaford, on cycle paths and quiet roads. It also goes west from Worthing to Littlehampton on some slightly busier roads. It's also very easy to travel by train with your bike, no reservations needed for the bike, to try out the quiet lanes further afield. Around Lewes for example.

Thanks for the reply I'll take a look. I should know the roads around Lewes played at Lewes Rfc for nearly 20 years !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm a little paranoid that's all I was knocked over in '94 and stopped cycling until now . Just looks scary in a car sharp turns

There's no sharp turns on the Devils Dyke.The sight lines are very good.. It's a great road for cycling.
Sorry to hear about your accident.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Welcome back to cycling. Stay paranoid for a bit until your confidence improves, you don't want your nerve going when at full chat down Saddlescombe.

I quite like the A23 cycle path and then going left at Pyecombe and then trickling along Underhill Lane through the villages at the foot of the Downs, lanes on the west side of the Adur then the seafront cycleway all the way back to town.

Top Bottom