Cycle Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BevP

Mellow, non-Lycra clad, Australian (half Scottish!) cycle tourist looking for route suggestions for small-wheeled, folding-bike/camping tour in Scotland. Planning on about 6 weeks - Aug/Sept. Prefer to stay as far away from traffic as possible (though I'll actually be based out of Glasgow for some of the time). Not really into mountain biking tracks (with the small wheels) but don't mind some off road. Suggestions please...and yes, I've heard about the dreaded midges.

you'll be spoilt for choice.

I've been up around alloway and its lovely, north or Aberdeen also and its lovely there too.

im sure persons more local than me will give you far more detailed routes etc but best of luck.

EDIT: if you go through Cromarty and like beer - call into the brewery for a sample or two, you wont be disappointed

hoopdriver

Guru
I have spent quite a bit of time exploring Orkney by bicycle and absolutely love it. It is a bit far afield from Glasgow, but a really magic place. West Mainland, on the big island, has some lovely empty roads for cycling and there are good ferry services to the outer islands. Rousay has a very scenic road circling it, and is a delight. Because it is rather remote, it is not on many people's mental maps of where they might want to go, but it is well worth the trouble to get there (not really that much trouble - just get the ferry from Scrabster to Stromness)

snorri

Legendary Member
Here's a starter, with options for countless variations:smile:.
Cycle or train to Oban, ferry to Castlebay (Barra) , cycle to Stornoway (Lewis) ferry to Ullapool, cycle north to Lochinver via Inverkirkaig and on to Scourie Durness and along north coast to Scrabster for ferry to Stromness. A circular tour in Orkney finishing at St Margarets Hope or Burwick for ferry to Gills Bay or John O' Groats. Along to Duncansby Head to hang over the cliff edge for a bit before heading south to Wick, then south to Golspie and head inland to Rogart and Lairg, Ardgay and Nigg for ferry to Cromarty on to Inverness via Kessock Bridge. Options at Inveness, to explore the Far East (towards Aberdeen) or to head for Perth via Aviemore and Pitlochry .Once at Perth....well, that's the edge of my world, beyond there be dragons:smile:.

Crankarm

Guru
Mellow, non-Lycra clad, Australian (half Scottish!) cycle tourist looking for route suggestions for small-wheeled, folding-bike/camping tour in Scotland. Planning on about 6 weeks - Aug/Sept. Prefer to stay as far away from traffic as possible (though I'll actually be based out of Glasgow for some of the time). Not really into mountain biking tracks (with the small wheels) but don't mind some off road. Suggestions please...and yes, I've heard about the dreaded midges.

Yebbut seeing them, thick clouds of them and getting bitten all over is not a whole lot of fun, thick thick clouds of them. I would advise you do not camp.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I toured the Outer Hebrides by Brompton and it was excellent .... and midge free :-)
Roads are always well surfaced, almost traffic free and as scenic as they come.
The different Islands have their own character and hopping around on tbe ferries us cheap and fun.
I ran a fully loaded S6L with bivvy but also used hostels (Gatliff trust). I added a 50/34 chainset to the Brommie to make life easier over the lumpier bits on Harris.
If you go, make sure to carey 24 hours rations, shops and eateries can be few and far between!

Great place though. Will certainly return :-)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Almost anywhere between Inverness and Aberdeen keeping to the coast. Obviously avoid the A96 but there are plenty of back roads. Also drier weather generally and lack of midges.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
This time last year we were about to embark on our two week tour of Western Highlands and Islands starting and finishing in Ardrossan, a short train ride from Glasgow.

Best holiday ever.

I blogged the whole lot Inc route and it's also on Cycle Chat here

As already said, spoilt for choice, away from the Central Belt almost anywhere in Scotland has great touring potential. Just look at a map and pick out a route missing out the trunk roads. Make it up as you go along. You can always use trains and I guess with a folding bike some coach services for some legs. What are your other interests ? e.g. If archeology is your thing then Orkney and Shetland are a must. If castles and gardens then Royal Deeside and Aberdeenshire take some beating. If amazing sunsets and spectacular sea views then the west coast will be just the ticket.
Or perhaps base on particular places you want to visit e.g. the Callanish Stones on Lewis, or the Cape Wrath lighthouse, or Skara Brae on Orkney ?
Or perhaps base on a route that someone else as followed, e.g. places of note in the Bonnie Prince Charlie/Jacobite story, or places mentioned in favourite books, or places featured in favourite films/tv. (For me I had to visit the telephone box used in Local Hero).
Or base on food and drink ? E.g. Speyside whisky, Cullen Skink, Arbroath Smokie, Aberdeen Angus, West Coast langoustine etc

As already said, spoilt for choice, away from the Central Belt almost anywhere in Scotland has great touring potential. Just look at a map and pick out a route missing out the trunk roads. Make it up as you go along. You can always use trains and I guess with a folding bike some coach services for some legs. What are your other interests ? e.g. If archeology is your thing then Orkney and Shetland are a must. If castles and gardens then Royal Deeside and Aberdeenshire take some beating. If amazing sunsets and spectacular sea views then the west coast will be just the ticket.
Or perhaps base on particular places you want to visit e.g. the Callanish Stones on Lewis, or the Cape Wrath lighthouse, or Skara Brae on Orkney ?
Or perhaps base on a route that someone else as followed, e.g. places of note in the Bonnie Prince Charlie/Jacobite story, or places mentioned in favourite books, or places featured in favourite films/tv. (For me I had to visit the telephone box used in Local Hero).
Or base on food and drink ? E.g. Speyside whisky, Cullen Skink, Arbroath Smokie, Aberdeen Angus, West Coast langoustine etc

Arbroath smokie is a thing of wonder. It's worthy of a tour on its own

Top Bottom