Cycle service plans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony81

I purchased a cycle plan from Halfords but seem unable to book a service without paying for it. Is this a common problem that retailers sell a plan and then make it difficult to use? Very frustrating.

vickster

Legendary Member
What does the service plan cover? Are you trying to book online or in store? If the former, try the latter.
I’ve never bought a bike service plan and never would. I pay to get my bike serviced when needed, not according to some arbitrary calendar. It’s not a car :smile:
Indeed I’m not even sure if any bike seller other than Halfords even offer such a thing?

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Service plans on bikes are a waste of money. Youtube gives you all the maintenance guidance you can possibly need, and really, hardly anything needs doing to a bike other than the odd bit more air in the tyres.

Maybe check the amount left on the brakes every few months but that's about it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Service plans on bikes are a waste of money. Youtube gives you all the maintenance guidance you can possibly need, and really, hardly anything needs doing to a bike other than the odd bit more air in the tyres.

And lube the chain

Good morning,

I sort of rode the wrong bike for my commute (the frame cracked during the last week so I will be using something different for a while) and I had to smile at the above as my maintenance schedule seems to work out as;

Every 2 months
Replace chain (£20-£30)
Replace front tyre (£10-£20)

Every 3 months
Replace rear tyre (£10-£20)
Replace front brake blocks (£5-£10)

Every 4 months
Replace cassette (£30)

Every 6 months
Remove chainset and replace BB30 bearings (£30)

Every 12 months
Replace outer ring (£100), I also do the inner ring as it was only about £30 even though it would have lasted another 6 months
Replace inner tubes (£10) if they have lasted this long which is rare as they will be close to an abrasion punctures soon.
Replace toe straps (£10).

Every 24 months
Replace rear brake blocks (£5-£10), what does the rear brake do?:laugh:
Replace bar tape (£15-£20)
Replace pedals (£25-£40)
Replace toe clips (£15-£20) as they have been scrapped on the ground so often that they look naff, been bent by wearing big MTB shoes and snap when bent back into shape, or I just bought new ones to get free P&P!
Remove chainset and replace Shimano to BB30 BB shims (£30)

Rarely
Replace brake cables, Bike was Di2 so no gear cables.

As the Halford's plan gives 10% of parts it would have been close to free if I had had one.

If you are not into bikes then not having the right tools can be a pain, chain splitter, chain whip, cassette removal tool, BB spanner, most but not all can be picked up from Halfords. Most people probably have some allen keys, but are they the monkey metal ones that round off when you use them? Some bikes need 8mm (crank) and 10mm (Shimano freehub) allen keys and these are much less common sizes.

So buying the tools can seem expensive and that's before the more obscure tools such as cone spanners, BB presses and removers if you unfortunate enough to have a press fit BB. Or a torque wrench for any carbon fibre bits, CF forks are pretty much everywhere now on road bikes once you get to around £400.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The only time a service plan is in any way better than a DIY rolling g maintenance ande program is if you have no arms or your name is Reg Prescott.

Lee_M

Guru
Good morning,

I sort of rode the wrong bike for my commute (the frame cracked during the last week so I will be using something different for a while) and I had to smile at the above as my maintenance schedule seems to work out as;

Every 2 months
Replace chain (£20-£30)
Replace front tyre (£10-£20)

Every 3 months
Replace rear tyre (£10-£20)
Replace front brake blocks (£5-£10)

Every 4 months
Replace cassette (£30)

Every 6 months
Remove chainset and replace BB30 bearings (£30)

Every 12 months
Replace outer ring (£100), I also do the inner ring as it was only about £30 even though it would have lasted another 6 months
Replace inner tubes (£10) if they have lasted this long which is rare as they will be close to an abrasion punctures soon.
Replace toe straps (£10).

Every 24 months
Replace rear brake blocks (£5-£10), what does the rear brake do?:laugh:
Replace bar tape (£15-£20)
Replace pedals (£25-£40)
Replace toe clips (£15-£20) as they have been scrapped on the ground so often that they look naff, been bent by wearing big MTB shoes and snap when bent back into shape, or I just bought new ones to get free P&P!
Remove chainset and replace Shimano to BB30 BB shims (£30)

Rarely
Replace brake cables, Bike was Di2 so no gear cables.

As the Halford's plan gives 10% of parts it would have been close to free if I had had one.

If you are not into bikes then not having the right tools can be a pain, chain splitter, chain whip, cassette removal tool, BB spanner, most but not all can be picked up from Halfords. Most people probably have some allen keys, but are they the monkey metal ones that round off when you use them? Some bikes need 8mm (crank) and 10mm (Shimano freehub) allen keys and these are much less common sizes.

So buying the tools can seem expensive and that's before the more obscure tools such as cone spanners, BB presses and removers if you unfortunate enough to have a press fit BB. Or a torque wrench for any carbon fibre bits, CF forks are pretty much everywhere now on road bikes once you get to around £400.

Bye

Ian

How many miles are you doing to need so much new gear so often?

Good morning,

The commute is a minimum of 18 miles each way, 5 days a week. In winter it stays that short, in summer it gets longer.........

Then add in some shortish weekend rides and I end up at around 10,000 miles (not km) a year.

I have tried Vittoria Randonneur tyres and they last forever but I really dislike the ride, I suspect that they are similar to the Schwable Marathons which seem to evoke a similar response.

Chain, cassette and chain ring life seems to be well within the norm for 10speed stuff and BB30 also seems to have reputation for a short life. What may not help is that the bike came with a Shimano chainset and BB30, this requires an "adaptor"
1686993746165.png

Which are "bits of rubber" that may very well flex applying forces in the "wrong direction" into the BB bearings.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom