Cycle shed in front garden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Should have hidden it in a giant gnome.

Or parked an MOT-failure van there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My neighbour has plonked a shed on his block paved drive - he's not even leveled it and he's a builder. It's full of kids toys and bikes that hardly get used.

The shed above is low profile, and fits in - lovely, unlike my neighbours one.:laugh:

fossyant

Planning regs do say no outbuildings in front of the principal elevation ! Oh that's the third thing bob has done - no planning for the 'living accomodation' in the back garden (no it's not a wendy house, it has a loo, electric etc and 'some' of your kids live in it), the log burner did not have building regs, and now this. You'd think a builder would know all this.

fossyant

What's the cutoff between a lockable bike storage thingy, and a small shed?
[I genuinely know nothing about planning regs! Except I know I could park a rusty van and store bikes in it, that was semi-serious ... ]

Basically you can park a rusty van in your garden, but not a nice shed ! :laugh:

No matter how well it is done, it is still a storage shed in the wrong place. The property values of neighbours will be affected as potential buyers will see this as poor enforcement of code by the local authority and that it is might not have well informed residents. It also sets a bad precedence as the next bike shed in that area might not be so nice. This is where bureaucracy runs amok when you have to have another set of codes for storage sheds in the front yard.

The irony of course if when the bike shed owner wants to sell his house, his agent will tell him to get rid of the storage shed. That luxury the neighbours do not have.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have 4 wheelie bins per house on my street.
To combat this lots of wooden wheelie bin stores have sprouted up. Big enough for 4 bins, so would easily fit 2 bikes.
What are rules on that?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No matter how well it is done, it is still a storage shed in the wrong place. The property values of neighbours will be affected as potential buyers will see this as poor enforcement of code by the local authority and that it is might not have well informed residents. It also sets a bad precedence as the next bike shed in that area might not be so nice. This is where bureaucracy runs amok when you have to have another set of codes for storage sheds in the front yard.

The irony of course if when the bike shed owner wants to sell his house, his agent will tell him to get rid of the storage shed. That luxury the neighbours do not have.
Yet the neighbours have dug up their gardens for car parking. I agree that the enforcement might be technically correct - but what they should have done is held the owners hand to go through planning permission.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yet dump and old car on your lawn and let it fester and there's not much they can do.

Indeed, dump and old estate car on your lawn and store the bikes in that.

I know a radio ham who was forced to take his amst down by the carncil. He got hold of an old knacker of a car, welded a folding mast to that and stuck two fingers up at them. The carncil whittled and rattled and even did a site visit, but eventually conceded they had no authority over a motor vehicle parked lawfully on a private driveway. Its a Sierra estate, and is now woefully decrepit, and hopefully far more offensive to the eye than the original mast (which was also folding and only erect when in ise a few hours a week, usually at night). We can live in hope that its in the direct line of sight if whoever the complainant was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom