Cycle spares-what can cycle shops do to compete with online retail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
A good question. Another near here is in the process of closing. Peleton in Rugeley is no more. He said that the Internet has more or less killed him off.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A good question. Another near here is in the process of closing. Peleton in Rugeley is no more. He said that the Internet has more or less killed him off.
I'd alter that to say, "Public preference for the internet" has killed him off.

We might moan that local shops are closing, but they are only closing because we decided not to use them any more.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sign of the times sadly.
The fittest may survive but they will need to adapt to a changing market.
We love our bargains,so we as consumers are killing them.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Latest offer at Tony Butterworth's is buy a Gran Fondo Ti frameset and they will build it free and supply all components at 0% margin, so you can imagine the hit they're taking.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On most stuff my local bike shop will come as close as matching online as makes no difference - to me.

There will always be customers who will spend hours trying to get a thirty quid item a couple of pounds cheaper.

They will never be satisfied, and customers with that sort of attitude will likely be problematic later on so the shop is better off without them.

classic33

Leg End Member
If it's Sheffield bike shops we're discussing then here's a quick shout out for Tony Butterworth's in Middlewood. It's owned and run by the nicest guys on the planet, they will price match if they can, are always happy to rummage in the spares box for you and what Mike the bike whisperer doesn't know about bikes probably isn't worth knowing. It's also worth a visit if you're a fan of massive fluffy dogs.

Note that this is a different Butterworth's to the one mentioned by @KneesUp and is on the other side of town.
That's the sort of advert money can't buy.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd alter that to say, "Public preference for the internet" has killed him off.

We might moan that local shops are closing, but they are only closing because we decided not to use them any more.
I'll look online for the item, if it's a specific item, but I'll travel to the shop to buy it.

Ok as someone who works in a bike shop I cam maybe give some idea of the problems.

The main issue is online retailers selling stuff at less than retail value,one of the worst things is Shimano components with many online retailers selling parts and group sets that should be for bike builds.

We don't have too many issues with bikes as the only brand we really have to watch the price on is Genesis.

For instance we have a guy who came in after a Day One.He'd seen one in Rutland that they where doing for about £480 and he asked if we could price match before dropping the bomb of needing to do it on Cyclescheme.Now the Day One retails for £699 and Cyclescheme takes 10% off us so that doesn't give us much wriggling room for making some sort of profit.

Oh and regarding workshop stuff that is still ticking over nicely,although some people still quibble about labour costs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I value my LBS very, very highly and would always purchase there first if at all possible - I only buy elsewhere if the LBS can't help. I never question price safe in the knowledge I always get a good price and if I am paying over the odds it's a small contribution to repay the help and advice I receive.

Last week I popped in to chat with the owner. I've signed up for the biggest cycling challenge of my life. I outlined my training plans, he put forward other ideas on training, approach to the ride and nutrition. All the this plus coffee for an hour. Show me an online retailer who will give such help.

I have no doubt my LBS contributes to my cycling performance through such advice. Worth every single extra penny in my view.

Great personal service cannot be bettered online.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
They could probably do a good job in second hand bike sales like dar dealers do. Trade in your old bike, buy a nearly hew bike etc. Sell bike maintenance classes starting with basic stuff like pumping up tyres, checking your gears and brakes etc.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am yet to find a truly decent LBS anywhere near me, but I have found a very good mechanic who works out of an industrial unit. The local old school shops have all been closing down or are in the last throes of death, they even struggle to compete with the likes of Evans and Halfords. Online wins for me every time, better prices, faster, easier to return, guaranteed service etc.

It is a real shame, as a lad I wasted many an hour probably annoying the LBS but putting enough over the counter to make it worthwhile for them to put up with my inane questions and drool on the new bikes and parts. However, those shops closed long ago.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The challenge for a LBS is WACD (What Amazon/Wiggle Can't Do). Things like having a coffee shop, servicing, etc. That's where they'll survive.

My LBS does servicing and I don't quibble the price. They seem to be doing OK and whilst I buy most parts elsewhere they give my club a 10% discount.

Top Bottom