Cycle spares-what can cycle shops do to compete with online retail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I would like to use the LBS more but they don't stock useful things like pannier bags and dynamo lighting.

However, they wouldn't make much out of these as I have only had three pannier bag sets in decades.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They could probably do a good job in second hand bike sales like dar dealers do. Trade in your old bike, buy a nearly hew bike etc. Sell bike maintenance classes starting with basic stuff like pumping up tyres, checking your gears and brakes etc.
One of our locals does second-hand bike sales. They require the bike to pass their mechanic's check, but they'll accept payment for repairs from the final sale price if you want. I think one of the small chain shops offers bike maintenance classes, but a lot of such knowledge is passed on freely from cyclist to cyclist around here.

Personally, I buy most parts from two particular local bike shops because they hold stock of well-tested items for mainstream bikes (so you can still get things like KMC SS/HG or SRAM 7-speed chains without being told you should upgrade to 1x12 or whatever) at no/low markup from the two big chain stores, plus they offer more complicated tasks like wheel-building at reasonable prices. I think the core of their sales are new bikes including setup and workshop services, though.

I worked in a bike shop for a while, it was cheaper for me to buy from wiggle, Maddisons trade price is more expensive than Wiggle.

Really it's Wiggle etc under-charging rather than Madison charging too much;the real problem is Shimano not seeming to care that smaller bike shops won't be able to match online prices without basically loosing money.

Considering that I taught myself maintenance, and can do anything apart from wheel building*, I'm afraid any LBS will only attract me if their prices are competitive with the Internet, which sadly is almost impossible.

*The cost of components for this is such that I'm happy to buy ready built wheels if and when I need one.

The thing with a lot of bike shops is that mechanics should have some sort of training like Cytech.

Also a good mechanic should be comfortable with say setting up Di2 or Sram wireless as well as an old Sturmey hub and that also takes some years of experience, most home mechanics are only able to work on their own bikes so the ability to work on different bikes is the reason for the extra cost of a good mechanic.

Interesting that you've chosen Evans as an example. Of course they also have a very good online shop but have seen a dramatic downturn in profits which looks to be due to lack of new bike sales. Their overheads are still the same so I'm sure they are hurting.
I also visited the Sheffield shop recently and was a bit disappointed by the lack of spares stock so to answer your question there's not a lot that can be done. Most people will simply order on line as there is better availability and its delivered to your door.

The chain snapped on my bike and I cant drive a car. I know how to replace a chain myself. So what do I do? Cant get the bike to a shop, and even if I could, chances are it'd need to be booked in rather than done there and then. I order online, possibly get a next day delivery and replace the chain as soon as I see fit. Downside is sourcing obscure parts and their comparability. I did manage to get a new headset bearing for my Giant Revolt, but not without a lot of fussing about online.
Plus doing it myself I can be sure that it's actually f'ed up and not just a good probability:crazy:

byegad

Legendary Member
Really it's Wiggle etc under-charging rather than Madison charging too much;the real problem is Shimano not seeming to care that smaller bike shops won't be able to match online prices without basically loosing money.

The thing with a lot of bike shops is that mechanics should have some sort of training like Cytech.

Also a good mechanic should be comfortable with say setting up Di2 or Sram wireless as well as an old Sturmey hub and that also takes some years of experience, most home mechanics are only able to work on their own bikes so the ability to work on different bikes is the reason for the extra cost of a good mechanic.
As at one time we owned 9 bikes, including recumbent bikes and trikes, fitted with almost every gear system you can think of, I learnt by reading instructions and having a degree of mechanical sympathy. If I can do it anybody can. Bicycles are not high technology.

As at one time we owned 9 bikes, including recumbent bikes and trikes, fitted with almost every gear system you can think of, I learnt by reading instructions and having a degree of mechanical sympathy. If I can do it anybody can. Bicycles are not high technology.

Fair enough,but not everybody can (you should see some of the stuff on Funny side of bike mechanics on Facebook :ohmy: )and some people just can't be bothered or don't have the time.

byegad

Legendary Member
You're right Elybazza61, of course.
However as to why LBSs are closing down it is the same reason as why House of Fraser in trouble and BHS closed. Most people will choose price over proximity. To change that and rescue 'the high street' is easy. It needs:-
1. Make online marketers pay realistic business rates.
2. Raise the cost of postage and courier services.
3. Ensure that there is adequate free parking in town centres.
4. Ensure bus and train fares I to town centres are cheap.

However that means we all pay more for mail order and a politician that enacted those measures is committing political suicide. For instance where do all the free parking places come from? Also who subsidises fares into town?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I was in my LBS yesterday for some disc brake cleaner. The owner (who is a top notch guy) was only too happy to put his tools down for a natter. Workshop is full for the next month. To the point where he has too much work and feeling the strain on his mental health. And a knackered neck from working on the tool stand all day. He is tall. Staffing is tricky because of the seasonality of cycling. Never has enough people in the summer then has to lay everybody off after Christmas.

He should have gone into gardening.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You're right Elybazza61, of course.
However as to why LBSs are closing down it is the same reason as why House of Fraser in trouble and BHS closed. Most people will choose price over proximity. To change that and rescue 'the high street' is easy. It needs:-
1. Make online marketers pay realistic business rates.
2. Raise the cost of postage and courier services.
3. Ensure that there is adequate free parking in town centres.
4. Ensure bus and train fares I to town centres are cheap.

However that means we all pay more for mail order and a politician that enacted those measures is committing political suicide. For instance where do all the free parking places come from? Also who subsidises fares into town?
Why should you artificially raise online price to subsidise High Street shops for which their is little or no demand? Despite the nostalgic longing some have for bricks and mortar shopping most of us prefer the cheaper prices, massively increased choice and quick delivery that the internet has given us.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Adapt or die.

Bike shops are no different from the rest of the high street. If the likes of Sainsbury and Asda cannot escape the threat from online (Amazon), there is no hope for bike shops in the traditional guise.

They have to offer experiences that online can't.

Why should you artificially raise online price to subsidise High Street shops for which their is little or no demand? Despite the nostalgic longing some have for bricks and mortar shopping most of us prefer the cheaper prices, massively increased choice and quick delivery that the internet has given us.

But in real terms the online prices are artificially low,below most trade prices but as this thread proves most people don't give a shoot.

Adapt or die.

They have to offer experiences that online can't.

Which costs money which again as this thread insinuates most people are not prepared to pay.

Looks like I'm off to the job centre,,,,,:rolleyes: .

classic33

Leg End Member
But in real terms the online prices are artificially low,below most trade prices but as this thread proves most people don't give a shoot.

Which costs money which again as this thread insinuates most people are not prepared to pay.

Looks like I'm off to the job centre,,,,,
:rolleyes: .
Now online.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Looks like I'm off to the job centre,,,,,:rolleyes: .

Not if you diversify. A few days ago, in slow moving traffic, I was passing a small fuel station in a semi rural location. It was one of those run by a local family.

They cannot compete with the local supermarket forecourt on price alone. But, they offer other services such as dry cleaning and ironing services, bottled gas, firewood and flowers.

byegad

Legendary Member
That was my point. It's never going to be done, but without such measures the high street is going to lose more and more shops.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That was my point. It's never going to be done, but without such measures the high street is going to lose more and more shops.
Bricks and mortar shopping, to survive, has to be a "destination experience" (to use the modern terminology).

It's no longer enough to be a row of shops selling stuff. It has to be part of a day out. If all a shop does is sell stuff eventually someone online will undercut it

Nothing will be protected from this. Look at clothing retailing. Young people buy online from Boohoo, Pretty little thing etc. It's convenience shopping for them and a completely natural way to buy stuff

The challenge for society is do we want to keep town centres as shopping destinations? If we do then business rates will have to be slashed and tax revenues generated elsewhere.

Top Bottom