Cycle speedway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used to watch the cycle speedway back in the late 70's and early 80's in Morden Park. (Morden Cycle Speedway) The track is now long gone. I wonder if @Fab Foodie remembers the track. When there were no races on anyone could use the track.. I used to be a wizz on it on my Grifter.

Neil_Argent_at_Morden_Park.jpg

matiz

Guru
I remember the wednesfield aces from wolverhampton they won plenty of national team and individual titles always got decent coverage in the local papers

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was a schoolboy we used to ride speedway bikes on some waste ground in the village where I lived, we enjoyed it but never got any crowds to watch us, it was just a few kids who were all mates but it was fun.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to watch the cycle speedway back in the late 70's and early 80's in Morden Park. (Morden Cycle Speedway) The track is now long gone. I wonder if @Fab Foodie remembers the track. When there were no races on anyone could use the track.. I used to be a wizz on it on my Grifter.

Neil_Argent_at_Morden_Park.jpg
Not I.
I didn't know Morden existed until 1982!
However in. The 70s we had a track in Exeter and it was very popular. It was pretty tough stuff and not for a softie like me!
At the time motorcycle Speedway was also big with Exeter being one if the top teams in the days of World Champ Ivan Mauger. All gone now sadly.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There used to be a track on the Stennets playing field in Trimley St. Mary (it's now a five a side pitch), a few hundred yards from my home, which was where the Trimley Tigers used to race. It was quite popular there back in the 70s.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A mate used to do it back in the sixties. It was quite popular with several tracks in the east end of London, his home track disappeared to make way for the Eastway cycle circuit. Below top level it was a very amateurish branch of the sport with most of the bikes being skip specials.

Ian193

Über Member
I used to ride for the great wakering rebels but they have since folded I'm going back 20 years +

sackville d

Veteran
John Noakes of Blue Peter fame was filmed for said programme at a track above Holmfield , North Halifax around `73 or `74.
Not surprisingly he just got in the way but that guy would have a go at most anything.

Even saw Shep.He didn`t get in the way because he was in Noaksies car most of the time.
After that I think the whole scene just went Radio Rental.

I swear to a higher being,I have not just made this up.(except the bit about Radio Rental)

sackville d

Veteran
At the time motorcycle Speedway was also big with Exeter being one if the top teams in the days of World Champ Ivan Mauger. All gone now sadly.
Likewise in Halifax the Halifax Dukes at the Shay .In my post above I mentioned Blue Peter and I seem to recall Ivan Mauger on that programme with a fully gold plater speedway bike commemorating
his winning the World Champs

Top Bottom