Cycle storage on Class 800/801 trains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeW

Just wondering if anyone knows what the cycle storage will be like on the new Class 800/801 trains which are to be introduced over the next few years to replace the Intercity 125 HST and Intercity 225 stock currently used on the East Coast Mainline. I cannot seem to see any details on the internet but I fear that it will be worse than the current rolling stock which actually has fairly decent guards van unlike most moden trains.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
If they're anything like the Class220/221 trains operated by Arriva Cross Country then there will be one or two recessed areas by the doors where bikes can be hung by their front wheel, it's not secure so I would recommend sitting with the bike (on the floor :thumbsdown:)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are some pictures of the planned Hitachi IEP trains here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/transportgovuk/sets/72157634690519950/with/9313244146/
Including this one
9310458359_197cbe6153.jpg

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
That doesn't look like it's going to be easy to secure your bike. It also looks really difficult to get the left hand bike (the black one) out without taking the other one out first, which would be no fun in the limited time you get at intermediate stops.

MisterStan

Label Required
If he adrian had a Brompton he wouldn't have made this statement as it's certainly not been my experience.
However it MAY have been his experience?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
He does. And on some stock he's right - especially the longer-distance commuter stock in the South-East.

MisterStan

Label Required
Unlikely if he actually has one, but I suppose there is a very small possibility, like a chimpanzee writing the works of Shakespeare.
I thought it was a team of monkeys that would write the works of Shakespeare, given long enough.
I took a train from Peterborough to Newcastle recently - there was barely enough room for my overnight bag, let alone a Brompton.

Crankarm

Guru
I thought it was a team of monkeys that would write the works of Shakespeare, given long enough.
I took a train from Peterborough to Newcastle recently - there was barely enough room for my overnight bag, let alone a Brompton.

Was it very crowded? As I say I've never experienced a problem. I've always found a place in the luggage racks. Guess I am just Mr Lucky ^_^.

Top Bottom