Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
it would need to be - both the eastern and western bypasses are pretty awful. But, then again WHY DON'T THEY REDESIGN THE ELEPHANT SO IT IS A NICE PLACE TO BE? As in walk and cycle. (With apologies for capital letters).​

ffs. Cable Street will never be a Super-Highway.

The mayor kiboshed the last E&C redevelopment proposal as it would adversely affect traffic flows:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3613

Any piss-poor road has the potential to be a Super Highway as far as I can see, just like the LCN.

byegad

Legendary Member
:bicycle:Is it true that, where motor traffic crosses the:bicycle: Super Highway, :bicycle:drivers will be required to switch off, get out and push over the Super Highway, when it's clear of cycle traffic of course, and only restart the engine once clear of the :biggrin: SH??????:blush:

:biggrin::bicycle: I only ask as that's how most cycle routes work when crossing main roads.:cycle::cycle:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I like the idea of diplaying cycling time to destination (maybe they mean on maps, but I'd like to see signs by the road). Add in driving time (assuming normal peak traffic) and some people in cars might start to see sense...

That is an idea of breathtaking genius.

So it'll never happen.

CotterPin

byegad said:
:bicycle:Is it true that, where motor traffic crosses the:bicycle: Super Highway, :bicycle:drivers will be required to switch off, get out and push over the Super Highway, when it's clear of cycle traffic of course, and only restart the engine once clear of the :biggrin: SH??????:blush:

:biggrin::bicycle: I only ask as that's how most cycle routes work when crossing main roads.:cycle::cycle:

Yep - "End of motor road" will be painted on the ground and there'll be little blue notices saying "Drivers, get out and push"!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
The route must be ready by May 2010...

I'm sure someone of your precision wouldn't use the word 'must' without good cause.B) So, who's imposing the 'must' and what happens if the 'must be' becomes an 'isn't'?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
CotterPin said:
Yep - "End of motor road" will be painted on the ground and there'll be little blue notices saying "Drivers, get out and push"!
Drivers should stop moaning. They don't even pay path tax!

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
I'm sure someone of your precision wouldn't use the word 'must' without good cause.B) So, who's imposing the 'must' and what happens if the 'must be' becomes an 'isn't'?

The news was delivered by Councillor Jeff Hook and Council Officers Todd Strehlow and Barbara-Anne Overwater at the May meeting of Southwark Cyclists. "Must" is a "must", Bollo. When have you ever heard of a councillor reneging on a promise...?

I think the 2010 target is achievable - all they need to do is call the current route a Super Highway and they're more than half way there...

Source:

http://www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk/newsletters/2009_06_news.pdf

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
The news was delivered by Councillor Jeff Hook and Council Officers Todd Strehlow and Barbara-Anne Overwater at the May meeting of Southwark Cyclists. "Must" is a "must", Bollo. When have you ever heard of a councillor reneging on a promise...?

I think the 2010 target is achievable - all they need to do is call the current route a Super Highway and they're more than half way there...

Source:

http://www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk/newsletters/2009_06_news.pdf

Thanks O. Despite my tendency to sarcasm this was a (fairly) serious question. I was wondering if any infrastructure funding was tied to a particular budget, election date or some planned running races in East London.

If my local councillor made a promise to be a strident, single-issue nimby, then she's sure as f*** keeping that one!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bollo said:
Thanks O. Despite my tendency to sarcasm this was a (fairly) serious question. I was wondering if any infrastructure funding was tied to a particular budget, election date or some planned running races in East London.

There is no specific LOCOG funding for cycling infrastructure associated with the games. There is a one-line commitment in the Olympic bid to sustainability and there is a 'hope' (and nothing more) that 20% of all visitors to the games will cycle or walk - which makes sense when you consider that people queued for two hours to get a bus away from the Sydney Olympics at the end of the day.

However - it took a bit of a stink to get cycle parking in the Olympic park next to the velodrome (doh!) and TfL's group which includes reps from the LCC and Sustrans is wedded to the idea of cycle routes that will have very limited capacity.

There is, actually, a problem that hitherto people planning for cyclists have not really had to consider overmuch. Ten thousand cyclists take up a huge wodge of space when they're on the move. Consider the BHF London to Brighton, or the Freewheel. It is as plain as a pikestaff to all but cycling organisations that getting squillions of bikes to the Olympics is a Mile End Road job, not a dopey Sustrans path across a park job. Or it would be if the Mile End Road wasn't being reserved for Olympic bigwig limos.

As far as the Super-Highways thing is concerned we're all going to have to reserve judgement. The first one to be declared (the A24/A3) is already a cycling super-highway - Johnson can only screw it up. Putting some more red tarmac from Clapham North to Colliers Wood is the obvious answer, but, since they've not done it so far I'm not holding my breath.

The second, going up Cable Street is less hopeful. Cable Street ranks as one of the LCCs great LCN+ 'achievements' - the trouble is that hardly anybody uses it now that they've discovered that the A13 is quicker, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that running red tarmac from Tower Bridge along The Highway to the top end of the Rotherhithe tunnel (and through the tunnel!) would potentially give you something close to the success story that is the A200 (Tooley Street down to Greenwich). So the decision to use Cable Street looks like Johnson's 'car first' agenda is going to win the day. It's just a pity that the LCC is still supporting this crap, but if you're an organisation that judges itself by the size of the cycling budget then infrastructure is an absolute neccessity.

And there's the rub. Everybody's getting all jiggy about £100 million for cycling. £140 million has been spent on LCN+ and it's largely been money down the drain. And there's one senior LCC bod who looks in on this forum who agrees with me.

jimboalee

The 'time to destination' notice boards on the Mways rely on a system where the vehicle's Reg No. is identified by a camera and then again some miles further. The average speed of the traffic is calculated by timing the passing of identical Reg No.s.

How is that going to work for bicycles?

Probably, the flow of bikes is going to be monitored for a week or so by a copper with a radar gun and then an average plucked out of the air; to be used for ever more.

Here's my opinion.
There are thousands of 'cycling superhighways' around Solihull and Birmingham. An ordinary road instantly transforms into a 'cycling superhighway' immediately I start riding my bike on it. Motorists, take note.

lech

An ordinary road instantly transforms into a 'cycling superhighway' immediately I start riding my bike on it. Motorists, take note.

Word.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The average speed of the traffic is calculated by timing the passing of identical Reg No.s.

How is that going to work for bicycles?

The timing for bicycles would be propaganda. It wouldn't have to actually be true. It could simply be the estimated time taken by someone travelling at 10 mph.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Top Bottom