Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ditto Mr myork. If you have to have segregated facilities then rather that than its predecessor, which looked awful. But yeah, its more cycling B-road than highway. There seems to be an awful lot of road furniture in place to achieve a marginal improvement.

But like dellzeqq says, if you've got all that cash in your pocket but little imagination and no political muscle to push real alternatives, then this is what is going to happen.

Handy for getting home after a ruck with those pesky blackshirts though.:laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
marinyork said:
Thankyou. Not sure I'm that impressed at all. Whether you call it a superhighway at all if you compare the photos it looks a fairly narrow and out of the way road. What is the cost of this thing?
Lots
http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.u...y/documents/annual report 2006-07 tow ham.pdf
the stupidity of this piece of work can hardly be overstated. Here we have a quiet road (albeit with lousy tarmac) which could be closed to rat-running car traffic with the installation of three or four gates with Fire Brigade locks - just as we have in 100 other locations in London. This would given the residents a quieter street which pedestrians could cross without looking four ways. Instead of which £300k is spent enlarging a cycle lane less than a mile long that very few people use, and brings pedestrians in to contact with cyclists in new and interesting ways. Genius! You could bus lane the nearside lanes of The Highway for less than half the cost, or even do it at one of the regular road re-surfacing intervals for the cost of some paint.

The Highway is not a comfortable stretch of road to cycle along, not least because it affords those drivers who have been daft enough to spend half a day on the A13 a sub-orgasmic sprint at the end of their commute. A little like the A200 Jamaica Road used to be....before they 24 hour bus-laned the nearside lanes.

Is there any likelyhood of making traffic lights have a 'cycle' phase, after the pedestrian phase, with green painted cycle direction lanes over the junction?

This would prevent the need for, what some percieve as dangerous ASL's, and make the motorist wait longer allow the motorists to progress through the junction without cycles getting in the way - they'd already be up the road.
If this was done at ALL junction, instead of the 'super H/way's' would this be a better way of spending the money?

Frustrated

Taking the "Super" out of Cycle Super Highways

"Super"
For those who hadn't noticed, City Hall, Bojo and TfL are no longer using the word "Super" when refering to what are now "Cycle Highways" in all their public statements. The real fear should be that it doesn't just end up being "Highways" due to fears about cyclists un-smoothing the flow of traffic!

"Blue (Tory) Lanes"
On a more humorous note, the idea of blue cycle lanes is based on Bojo's paranoia of all things red, you only have to notice how he quietly rebranded the "LondON" logo from blue and red to Tory blue after his election (at a cost of about £100k). What next, blue London Buses?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It was announced on breakfast there'd be some sort of announcement (that's probably more detailed than whatever the news will say).

lech

Here's the latest info I found:
-------- --------- --------
"Hot news from last night's Southwark Cyclists meeting. Routes for the first two of Boris Johnson's proposed 12 cross-London cycle superhighways, distinguished by blue asphalt, have been decided. Apparently they're to be ready by May 2010 (when the London Bike Hire scheme is also to being operation).

One will go through Southwark (A24 - A3 - Merton - Tooting - Kennington Park Road - Elephant and Castle improved bypass - Southwark Bridge Road - Southwark Bridge - City.

What precise shape the route will take through the Elephant's notorious double-roundabout, given the stalled redevelopment works, is still to be decided.

The other pilot route is City - Cable Street - east out along the A13."

lech

Via Real Cycling and the Southwark Cyclists, the two routes suggested are as follows:
One will go through Southwark (A24 - A3 - Merton - Tooting - Kennington Park Road - Elephant and Castle improved bypass - Southwark Bridge Road - Southwark Bridge - City.
What precise shape the route will take through the Elephant’s notorious double-roundabout, given the stalled redevelopment works, is still to be decided.
The other pilot route is City - Cable Street - east out along the A13.
What’s noticeable plotting these on another of my Google Maps lash-ups is that they’re straight, like Roman Roads. How very Boris. On a more pertinent note, what on earth’s the point of paralleling the DLR so closely out east, the soon-to-be-vastly-upgraded Northern Line down south and why is the City the only place people apparently want to get to? Out here in the west, where transport investment is just something that happens to other people, I’m wondering when he’ll get round to us so I’ve actually got something to ride my shiny new velocipede* on in my leisure hours. Finally, I do hope no one digs up this map from a Pippa Crerar article about Ken Livingstone’s suspiciously similar scheme from last February. Look, they’re marked in blue and everything, and one even goes to Ealing.
More information about the scheme is coming to light elsewhere, with a Mayoral Answer being quoted referring to the ‘Docklands Cycle Highway’ or ‘Northern Line Cycle Highway’, which maps directly onto the two suggested by the Southwark Cyclists. More ominously:
To make best use of existing resources, cycle highways will concentrate on pragmatic and simple measures and will not depend heavily on engineering interventions.
This is the get-out clause - can’t be beastly to the motorist, so use existing cycle infrastructure such as the Cable Street scheme, change the colour, stick a few signs up and get Guto to tell everyone it’s a transport revolution. Doesn’t turn Balham into Beijing, though, does it?
In any case, there seems to be a strand of opinion (check it out on Google Streetmap, actually) that the A24/A3 corridor is already fairly well equipped:
As far as the Super-Highways thing is concerned we’re all going to have to reserve judgement. The first one to be declared (the A24/A3) is already a cycling super-highway - Johnson can only screw it up. Putting some more red tarmac from Clapham North to Colliers Wood is the obvious answer, but, since they’ve not done it so far I’m not holding my breath.
* Obviously my other half won’t be riding it to work - far too dangerous. Have you seen the traffic out there of a morning? Lethal.

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I recced the E+C bypass a couple of days ago and should have guessed it was highway material: glass on the path, flat bed lorry partially blocking Churchyard Row, poor surfaces, lots of light controlled juntions, students swarming over Ontario St etc.

Remedial work is def needed!

Top Bottom