Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EC2boy

Is it just me, or have they shortened the one from Wandsworth to Westminster? It was originally going all the way to Trafalgar Square but now on the TFL page, it stops at Lambeth Bridge?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Are these the same people that complained when it first launched?
That road, at points, is too narrow for cars! And it's the point on the super highways where they haven't painted a cycle lane, just the advisory boxes in the middle of the road. Stop complaining!

JamesAC

The CS originally planned to run from Ilford, through Stratford and Bow to the city won't until after 2012. The London Borough of Newham along with the Olympic people have objected. It seems that "operational testing" of the Olympic priority routes (the special lanes set aside for Coporate Sponsors and the Press to be whisked from their park Lane jotels to the Olympic site) will begin in 2011. There isn't enough room for cycles as well.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The CS originally planned to run from Ilford, through Stratford and Bow to the city won't until after 2012. The London Borough of Newham along with the Olympic people have objected. It seems that "operational testing" of the Olympic priority routes (the special lanes set aside for Coporate Sponsors and the Press to be whisked from their park Lane jotels to the Olympic site) will begin in 2011. There isn't enough room for cycles as well.
you've hit a rather ugly nail on the head. The ORN is going down the very route that thousands of cyclists already use. In the mean time the committee working out how to get cyclists to the Olympics is counting on us joining some dopey path.

The residents of Narrow Street may just have a point. If you were to put CS7 levels of cycle traffic down Narrow Street they wouldn't be able to cross the road. I reckon the A13 running parallel is a better bet.

Blackandblue

Cyclists taking more of their share of the road?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ark_bridge.html

Yes, I saw that and it made me chuckle. The grammar in the heading is peculiar - at first I couldn't work out whether it was pro-cyclists ("Yay, cyclists are getting more of the road!") or anti ("Boo, cyclists are taking more of the road than they deserve"). When I read the article I decided on the latter but it was so ill-informed that I decided to ignore it.

The comments are all good and ultimately the author admits to a helping of humble pie. And even asks for feedback as to how the Stockwell segregation is working (which for my part, I can't really comment on, as I chose to abandon that route into work pretty much as soon as CS7 opened for business - which in a way expresses my views on its usefulness).

The segregation lane is turning into a collection point for wet leaves. Thursday and friday there was a piece of wood in it. It needs sweeping more often, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

When the ice comes, there won't be any room to manoeuvre round it.

The piece of wood is still there.

Oh, I often stop & pick up stuff from the road (including this morning a minute or so before I went through the gyratory), but the segregated cycle path at Stockwell is not a place where someone stopping would be viewed positively.

EDIT: 24/11
It's still there; I didn't pick it up this morning either (but nor did Gaz ;) ); it's now in two pieces.

Tynan

Veteran
they've starting marking out the Mile End Road, stretch here and there in blue, no other markings yet and on the way home the surface was completely loose and rubbish

grand width, cars shying away from it like it's a mine field

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
they've starting marking out the Mile End Road, stretch here and there in blue, no other markings yet and on the way home the surface was completely loose and rubbish

grand width, cars shying away from it like it's a mine field

ooooh that will all change. just wait.

Top Bottom