Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esrite

i dont get the Mile end route as it leads to a flyover

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As i said on my blog post, it's hard to tell how many of those are new cyclists and how many of them where already cycling but have deviated from another route to cycle on it.
It would also be intresting to see the stats on vehicle usage along the superhighways and if that has decreased.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Hi Matt, back from your annual CC holiday?:biggrin:

It'd be interesting to know the breakdown of the increase in terms of existing cyclists who've changed their route to use the CSs and new cyclists. Also, for the new cyclists, how important were the CSs in determining their choice?

Yes, a shorter hibernation than usaul, but I only seem to have missed a Hi-Viz debate...

TfL believes that it is reasonable to conclude, at this stage, that this increase is not due to cyclists diverting from parallel routes.

I'm not sure how they have come to this conclusion as I know people who have migrated from parallel routes (but less of the anecdata). What's more, (as far as I know), cyclist counts are not conducted in the streets surrounding the CSs...

The Committee’s survey revealed far less enthusiasm from new cyclists for the cycle superhighways compared to the hire scheme. Only one per cent of respondents had started cycling specifically because of the cycle superhighways
What must not be forgotten is that before the CSs were deployed the routes were increasingly seeing higher cyclist flows, year on year.

Source of quotes: http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/FINAL REPORT.pdf

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for that O. And I thought I'd set you a challenge.

My take on the CSs (and Boris Bikes) is that they're important more in terms of what they represent than what they physically provide. As facilities they're often compromised, occasionally silly and suffer all the disadvantages of any painted segregation. As symbols of an aspiration they're very effective. I think the choice of colour was no accident. The unusual and bold blue (at least initially) makes them stand out from the mass of other road markings and places drivers on the defensive. Good or bad, they're getting noticed.

Sweeping across the entire facilities/cycling numbers debate, I believe that people cycle because they see other people cycling. More specifically, more people will cycle if they see people like them cycling. The shear concentration of cycle traffic along these high-profile routes may be sufficient to break down people's social prejudices against getting on a bike themselves. In this sense, I'm sure there's a virtuous circle between the number of cyclists and the quantity and (hopefully) quality of provision, but I'd take a lot of convincing that facilities are a 'first cause' for any increase.

Pseud's corner is this way, right? ----->;)

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cycle Superhighway route 8
Mayoral Questions: Dec 2010

Question No: 3966 / 2010

Jenny Jones

Will cycle superhighway route 8 comply with the London Cycle Network-recommended
width of 1.5m?

Answer from the Mayor

All cycle lanes on Barclays Cycle Superhighway route 8 will be at least 1.5m
wide, and in many cases, wider. 80% of the route will include marked cycle
lanes, with the legal orders in place for mandatory cycle lanes along 25% of the
route (which are forbidden for use by general traffic). Between Chelsea Bridge
and Westminster, route 8 will mainly consist of new 2m wide mandatory cycle
lanes.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Cycle Superhighway route 8
Mayoral Questions: Dec 2010

Question No: 3966 / 2010

Jenny Jones

Will cycle superhighway route 8 comply with the London Cycle Network-recommended
width of 1.5m?

Answer from the Mayor

All cycle lanes on Barclays Cycle Superhighway route 8 will be at least 1.5m
wide, and in many cases, wider. 80% of the route will include marked cycle
lanes, with the legal orders in place for mandatory cycle lanes along 25% of the
route (which are forbidden for use by general traffic). Between Chelsea Bridge
and Westminster, route 8 will mainly consist of new 2m wide mandatory cycle
lanes.

Hmmm that will be interesting to see if they do manage to get 25% of it to be mandatory and all of it at least 1.5m in width.

Have you looked at the route? If going from Westminster to Wandsworth then around battersea park you have to go the wrong way down a one way residential road (Macduff Road). At present there is already allocated space for cyclists to do this, all be it in the door zone. The reason they choose this road is due to the Toucan crossing at the other end to allow cyclists going that way to easily make the right turn onto Battersea Park Road.
I hope some re-development is done on this road, as at present it's going to be hard for cyclists to come down that road with a large car coming the other way.

BSRU

A Human Being
What do they by mandatory bicycle lanes, I was under the impression all bicycle lanes are optional?

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for that, "mandatory" gives the impression you have no choice.
I suppose it is less of a mouthful than "legally enforceable with FPN's bicycle only lane".

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayoral Q/A March 2011:

Cycle problems at Oval
Question No: 434 / 2011
Valerie Shawcross
I have received a large number of complaints from cyclists using the Cycle
Superhighway at Oval that they are in conflict with other traffic at this
junction. What is being done to improve the situation?

Written answer from the Mayor
Overall, conditions for cyclists at this junction are a lot safer following the
introduction of Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 7.

TfL has removed a major conflict point by taking out a southbound filter lane
for general traffic on the A3 at the junction of Kennington Park Road and
Brixton Road. The filter lane meant that cyclists travelling straight on had to
move from the bus lane across two lanes of fast-moving traffic. Now that the
filter lane has been removed, cyclists only need to cross one lane of general
traffic, which has been significantly calmed by the introduction of a signalised
left-hand turning.

Other improvements to cyclist safety at Oval include blue surfacing across the
junctions and trixi mirrors, both of which help make cyclists more visible to
motorists.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The blue paint doesn't make cyclists more visible, it makes the edge of the road where some motorists think we should be more visible.

Are there any decent suggestions about what could happen at this junction?

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
The blue paint doesn't make cyclists more visible, it makes the edge of the road where some motorists think we should be more visible.

Are there any decent suggestions about what could happen at this junction?

20mph limit, remove the railings, fewer lanes, advanced green light for cyclists...

Southbound has been improved - not greatly, but it's a little better. Northbound is still as crap as ever.

Top Bottom