Cycle Surgery to close . . . . ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
Unconfirmed reports claim that Cycle Surgery could be set for closure in the coming months.

"The report (in BikeBiz) which is yet to be confirmed, comes from an anonymous source said to work for the Cycle Surgery chain.

The unnamed employee stated staff were informed yesterday that shops will be closing this year. They added that the London stores in Victoria and Waterloo have already been closed, although some will continue to trade until May. The online business, meanwhile, would allegedly remain trading until June. BikeBiz has approached Cycle Surgery for comment."

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was a Cycle Surgery on the Metro Retail Park, Gateshead, which closed a couple of years ago.

There was also one on the first floor of Snow and Rock in the centre of Newcastle.

It's also showing as closed, but I don't when.

Probably more recently as it's still on the website.

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/stores/newcastle.html

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are a few outdoor gear shops that have gone into cycling, not least because some of the clothing is interchangeable.

One of those is Start Fitness/Cycling in Newcastle, which I'm told is doing well.

Part of their business model is to buy big, and therefore cheap, and sell fairly cheaply.

They once bought a wholesaler's entire stock of Nike trainers.

The staff member who dealt with the transaction told me it amounted to thousands of pairs.

Shop floor staff were told not to worry about pricing each model, just get what you can for each pair.

Worked well for Start.

roley poley

Über Member
the one we have in leeds is also combined with snow and rock ,its down stairs in the cellar away from direct sight of the street customer nice people behind counter but they could do with a bit more foot fall from passing trade will ask how things are when I next wheel by

DRM

Guru
the one we have in leeds is also combined with snow and rock ,its down stairs in the cellar away from direct sight of the street customer nice people behind counter but they could do with a bit more foot fall from passing trade will ask how things are when I next wheel by
The one in Leeds is in a peculiar place, I got my Giant Defy from them, had to shoulder the thing to carry it out of the store cx style, up a staircase with three turns in it, the accessories/clothing seem quite expensive to me.

bladesman73

Über Member
Our economic system is broken when shops have to close because people are not flocking to them in their droves. Maybe rents and rates shouldn't be so extortionate to help them cope with the negatie effects of the net. There is more than enough money going around to compensate.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Soon it'll just be Wiggle/CRC, who have stopped trying now they don't need to.

There does appear to be a marked shift, upwards, in pricing from the Wiggle empire - although from the trade suppliers to the LBS some stuff was getting cheaper, or volume discounts were increasing.

Rob

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not just price, it's range. "Standards" have exploded to the extent that a bricks-and-mortar store can no longer carry a meaningful range of parts. Most things have to be ordered in, so we cut out the middle man and order them from a warehouse ourselves.

30 years ago, a headset was a headset and a BB was a BB. 40 years ago, derailleur gear parts were pretty much compatible (6 speed chain, any mechs, any shifters!).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My nearest was part of snow and rock in another peculiar place just off a major dual carriageway in Didsbury. Only ever been once for Spesh mits that were on sale.

Top Bottom