Cycle things I would buy now to last the rest of my cycling life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Currently, I understand that 9 is the limit before you have to start replacing nigh on the whole drivetrain to match.
I run 10 speed and get two or three chains per cassette and about three cassettes per chainset.
I might have been a bit ambiguous there - what I meant was that anything 9 speed or below, you can more or less mix and match any part of the drive train with other 9 speed and below components (notwithstanding brand compatibility issues with, for example cable-pull per gear) but to go to 10 speed or above, not much of your 7-9 speed drivetrain will be compatible. I might be wrong; I suspect chainsets will be quite versatile.

hatler

Guru
I might have been a bit ambiguous there - what I meant was that anything 9 speed or below, you can more or less mix and match any part of the drive train with other 9 speed and below components (notwithstanding brand compatibility issues with, for example cable-pull per gear) but to go to 10 speed or above, not much of your 7-9 speed drivetrain will be compatible. I might be wrong; I suspect chainsets will be quite versatile.
Got it. I mis-read your post. (Or misunderstood more accurately.)

That is an excellent point freiston. I recently built up a 9 speed bike. The front mech is a 20 year old nominally 7/8 speed budget thing. Apart from one small oddity i may post separately on, all works fine - probably the sweetest changing bike I have ever had. I intend to buy some more from those sensible german folk.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
SMP TRK saddles The Suntour SP12 - NCX seat post and a couple of sets of 5 inch rise aluminium BMX handle bars . As far as the seat post goes, I couldn't ride for more that about 3 - 4 miles without severe discomfort caused by the road vibration giving my dodgy hips a load of grief. The SMP TRK saddle is by far and away the most comfy saddle I have used in 50 years of riding, and to give me the upright riding position that I feel comfortable in, the cruiser type bar I describe, which is so hard to find in the UK, I would be sure to keep one or two sets as spares, because you never know what is round the corner.

Tom B

Guru
Good choice.

8 and 9 speed cassettes for me.

Then let them bully/soft soap me upwards.

Shifters are no great problem and I have some laid up.

This part of this thread got me thinking.

I too am mean and like my 8 speed because Chains are a under a fiver and cassettes around a tenner.

Is there any sorted of effort to stop producing 8speed these days? Do I need to stock up?

Oh and my stuff
1. Charge spoon sadles
2. Winter Studded tyres. I have some for my hybrid in 30x700 and some in 26" i now need some 27.5" now ive going 21st century.
3. Cant Choose between SKS chromoplastics or winter cycle shoes.

Top Bottom