Cycle things I would buy now to last the rest of my cycling life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
It's Japanese, so it comes up small.
Or so the Izumi stuff I have had was.
Not my experience. It has Japanese origins but is basically American. In fact (should have these on my list above) I have two stunning pairs of Pearl Izumi touring shorts that size wise are an M whereas my chunky frame typically needs l or XL

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not my experience. It has Japanese origins but is basically American. In fact (should have these on my list above) I have two stunning pairs of Pearl Izumi touring shorts that size wise are an M whereas my chunky frame typically needs l or XL

I've only ever had tops and always needed XL when I am normal a L or even a M

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is this in case they stop making them?
I'd go for a lifetime's supply of Decathlon handlebar bags. Small, simple, incredibly practical. Sadly, not indestructible.

I'm struggling after that..
A particular brand of clothing? A supply of jerseys like my yellow Aldi one? It's my favourite. But to be honest there's lots of other good clothing out there.
Not sure what else. Durano plus tyres? Nah. If they got discontinued there'd be something just as good on the market.
All the other consumables and clothing are much of a muchness.

simon.r

Person
I've been down the road of finding something that I thought would never be bettered and stocking up on it, but in all honesty improvements in technology and materials have always meant that there's been a better (or at least as good) current product available.

I can remember the outcry when XT went from 8 to 9 speed, and people stocking up on 8 speed cassettes and chains, but I'd bet most of them are now quite happily running something different.

I will occasionally buy 2 or 3 items of clothing that I like if they're being sold at a silly cheap price and put them to one side for use at a later date, but beyond that I just don't bother anymore.

Don't know about the sponge, it's a pink liquid that comes in a little plastic jerry can, I decant some out and paint it on the chainset with a paint brush. It does foam up.
Ah no, that's different stuff then. The one I was looking at was an aerosol foam with a bright sponge with a groove in it that the chain runs through. It looked like a potentially sound way of agitating all the crap out, though I don't know how long the plasticy sponge thing would last. I use the decant and paintbrush method too currently. Have been using Muc Off but that's running out so will shortly be switching to the Morgan Blue degreaser I got for Christmas.

freiston

Veteran
Yes, but that 9 speed is on the verge of vintage. You're slipping freiston :smile:
Agree that there have been many improvements, particularly in clothing, but i think there's now a lot of nonsense being thrust at day to day non competitive cyclists. It's just cycling and, thankfully, integration with a wider infrastructure/marketing machine is not needed. That's its joy. Just you (whoever you are) and your bike. All the best, not picking an argument.
I wonder just how far the sprockets will go. I would have thought that there's a functional limit before things get too problematic and I suppose that when that limit is well and truly reached, the price and availability will not be a (relative) problem. Currently, I understand that 9 is the limit before you have to start replacing nigh on the whole drivetrain to match.

I definitely agree that cycling is awash with "nonsense" and I would say that some approach the pastime like they approach their 'technology'. I've never been an early adopter unless there has been a very compelling reason. All the nonsense detracts from the joy and the true nature of 'just cycling' :smile:

Agree totally - keep meaning to start a thread on bits of nonsense - a fair few times recently I've been in bike shops and been aware of a subtle under-the surface flinch when someone "on message" with the industry realises that I see through a lot of it. And that it is still possible to keep it simple.

It's Japanese, so it comes up small.
Or so the Izumi stuff I have had was.
Not for me but Castelli and Pro Sport are the only clothes I've comfortably sized up on anything else is too baggy including my Pear Izumi tops which I gave to my brother whilst I kept the smalls. He's usually a large but Pearl Izumi mediums fit him well. My Pearl Izumi bib longs are small too and whilst they are about 0.5cm too long or less than that there a great fit round the calves and thighs, where as my Castelli longs are a fraction too tight but not enough to warrant sizing up.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Pearl Izumi is owned by Shimano (I already knew this thanks to an article on INRNG) but with a HQ in the States (this I did not know).
I've only got one PI top from the outlet at Pompey Gunwarf Quays. It's ok, but nowt special and I wouldn't have paid full price. The BMC kit they have in feels cheap, but isn't. From other odds and sods I've tried but not bought, I'd say the sizing is average. Zips are a bit rubbish. Castelli zips are d'bomb.

Top Bottom