Cycle to North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZIZAG

Veteran
Day 1. Mini cycle tour
I cycled from Cheshire to Abergele North Wales and camped out took took 5 days .
The route I took from Handforth near Wimslow via Styal Mobberly Ollerton ,Toft. Lower Peover along the back lanes to Lach Dennis to Davenham and onto Old Chester road A556 down Kelsall bypass to Tarvin and off back lanes to Chrisleton to arrive at the Shropshire Union canal Towpath to bypass Chester traffic out to pickup the River Dee
N5 Deeside cycle path .
Stopped first night on Rural farm campsite.

did you take any pictures, I would imagine there was plenty of good scenery

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Day 2.
Cycled along the
Deeside cycle path to cross Hawarden bridge onto the South side of river Dee following the N5 bypassing Queensferry along cycle path running through an Industrial estate and housing estate and park in
Connahs Quay exiting at Kelsterton into the busy A548 through Flint to Mostyn The N5 seemed to mingle In with the main road a lot .
But the traffic eased off by now .
Heading into a strong headwind finally seen sign for Prestatyn and turns off to go back into the coastal cycle path .
Stopped for lunch break near the
Nova centre blowing a gale by now .
Now the nice part I was on the dedicated cycle path running with the sea front about 4 metres wide .
No traffic and hardly any pedestrians soon passed Rhyl .
Regeneration and new buildings going up.
Crossed over the Blue Iron Bridge.
Around Kimmel bay not much of a cycle lane more like pathways on to Towyn and up to Pensarn and finally to my Destination at Abergele for a well earned rest and stay overnight at campsite .
Another 40 mile plus in the bag .

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
On the Third day .
I decided to have a day off , checking out the campsite which was on the grounds of the old Gwrych Castle and walked around Abergele town then down into the pebble beach walked along the Seafront looking towards Llandudno then over the second railway bridge and found back road around the outskirts of Abergele .
went into the Large Tescos store to peruse and buy supplies and my evening meal .
Headed back to the campsite .
Walked 5 miles leisurely amble .
Sat outside tent to watch the Sun go down .
lovely day out and made a change from cycling .
Then checked out the map for my cycle ride back to Chester and home .

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Day 4 .
Dull damp start on leaving Abergele .
Decided to go back Via the scenic route , cycled on the busy A547 fast moving traffic to Rhuddlan village and viewed the castle then on quite roads A5151 to Dyserth going uphill and undulating towards Trelawnyd encountered more and more hills towards Lloc by now dark heavy clouds appeared and as I reached the aptly named Pant-y-Waco It really started to rain ,downpour even though we were in the middle of a heatwave .

Took shelter under some tree's to put on all my waterproofs as it eased I set off to pick up the A5026 bypassed Holywell then over the moors at Pentre Halkyn where part of the moorland was on fire ,but with the torrential downpour was slowly been dowsed at last came over all the hills and started to go downhill at a fast pace I was concerned with all the surface water and gently pulled on my brakes on off as I was on twisty winder lanes eventually reached Bagillt.
felt like coming into land after fast downhill then through the Busy traffic on A548 towards Kelsterton now following the National cycle route N5 through a housing estate were i seemed to miss cycle path so ventured out into main road traffic again in Connahs Quay then back over river Dee to go on the Deeside cyclepath by now the rain had stopped and Sun came out about 7 miles to go reached Chester and decided to go into a hotel as I was well soaked and tired.
Also did not fancy pitching a tent on set ground and not able to dry out properly .
luxury nice warm shower and bite to eat and watch tv
Hotel allowed bikes on premesis special room to store ,but I requested to take my bike in room as hard to take off pannier 's .
So another good days cycle 40+miles covered .

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Day 5.
Came out of the hotel in Chester to blue sky very hot day 26 degrees of heat .
complete contrast to yesterday's deluge monsoon wet day .
picked up the Shropshire Union canal towpath heading East and came off at at Christleton and decided to avoid the main A roads and heavy traffic so off on a Jolly bimble on the Cheshire country lanes through Waverton Duddon bypassed Utkinton across to Cotebrook all without map reading then decided to stop for lunch at Whitegates way picnic area for a nice rest .
Then along the old rail track /trail to cross the river Weaver and Moulton and out Davenham village the bike knows it's way home from here .
Out along Crowders lane to Lach Dennis ,Lower Peover, Toft ,Ollerton then cross the A50 to the Seven sisters lane Great Watford around Wilmslow and Styal and home to Handforth .
A very nice cycle trip adventure with camping out also just under two hundred miles good fitness test .
Summing up I will have to lighten my pannier all in all very enjoyable outing

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Very good Prometheus .
Quite a variety of different rides .
of course with the CX bike it gives you more options .
I have done the Middlewood trail lots of times from home .
Handforth via Woodford Higher Poynton and Middlewood trail , once came back on the Macclesfield canal .
But where it was muddy and pools of water it was very dodgy as my old Raleigh tourer could not handle It .
Cheers

Top Bottom