Cycle to work day 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I didn't know this was "a thing" but there are some posters up around my workplace and people have been talking to me about it (as one of the semi-regular cycle commuters). Is anyone else getting involved, or seen any promotion around their workplace?

I've looked at the website (https://www.cycletoworkday.org/) and it appears to be run by the CycleSchemeUK C2W provider in collaboration with Halfords. I was a little disappointed by that - I hoped it might have been organised and promoted by someone like Cycling UK and that they could use the miles "pledged" on the website to lobby and promote cycling friendly road schemes.

I have "pledged" the miles I will be riding that day anyway, in the vague hope that the total number of miles pledged will be substantial enough and meaningful enough to mean something!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have had emails from my works cyclescheme provider (Not even interested enough to note the name of said provider, despite having used the scheme once in recent years) and I am doing absolutely nothing to engage with the campaign. I didn't even waste the time it would take to see if I was actually working that day to see if I might be cycling :rolleyes:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Worth signing up to - you might win a new bike or some lights or something... I can't say that I have ever noticed an increase in the number of cyclists on the roads on these days in the past though :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Normal day commuting for me, pledged for a chance of a freebie anyway.
Unless some serious lobbying goes on it Will not change anything,the motor industry etc have to powerful a voice and pockets.
It will be the same few faces in our bike sheds in the morning.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is anyone else getting involved, or seen any promotion around their workplace?
Well I've be doing a little promotion to our local cycling campaign, basically limited to letting people know it exists and there's a prize draw and printing a few posters for workplaces. As others note, it's difficult to get enthusiastic about promoting what seems to have become an advertising effort that doesn't seem to go anywhere further any more. I feel it's mistimed and we should be trying to get people to start cycling to work in the spring, so it can become a habit over the summer. I suspect it may be more productive to support the more US-centred www.30daysofbiking.com each April.

I hoped it might have been organised and promoted by someone like Cycling UK and that they could use the miles "pledged" on the website to lobby and promote cycling friendly road schemes.
You mean like Bike Week, which CUK took over organisation/promotion a few years ago, which you've heard of, haven't you? That's also sadly mistimed IMO, now stuck in mid-June, too late for the spring surge and just too late to link with UCIWWT Tour of Britain, but too early to tap into Tour de France or Olympic enthusiasm, as well as ideal for any habit-forming to be cut short by summer holidays.

So I'd sign up for C2W day for the prizes and publicise it a bit, but mark next March on your calendar to start recruiting for 30 days of biking.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So you bought a trials bike on C2W, then? :okay::laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My employer is the new main sponsor of British Cycling so is making a lot of noise about it.

Cycling related activities all week, free smoothies and breakfast on the day, free servicing by Evans and various giveaways.

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
My employer is the new main sponsor of British Cycling so is making a lot of noise about it.

Cycling related activities all week, free smoothies and breakfast on the day, free servicing by Evans and various giveaways.

That's excellent! Do you work in a large office, or a small branch? I'd have thought that the smoothies, breakfasts, and even servicing are probably only available at the larger sites?

I signed up, purely because the last scheme I participated ended with me winning a £50 voucher. Haven't used it yet though, maybe I'll get some bib tights of something for the winter. Can't beat free stuff.

Top Bottom