Cycle to Work - Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably a few months, September time, however bear in mind you may not be able to use your c2w voucher on discounted product

I am not sure when new model cx bikes come out, seems to be more the pure road bikes post TdF

Might save you £100, but then you miss the pleasure of a new bike in the summer months

If you can ditch c2w and go interest free credit card instead, the world is your oyster, there will already be reduced bikes out there

OP
OP
saul

saul

Good Afternoon,

I already have a hybrid to see me through the summer months, and have also taken a liking to the Boardman CX Team , seen a few on ebay and gumtree. So this may be another option to look into

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to do the sums. Ask your HR department to detail the total outlay and saving...including the end of scheme payment. 10% off at Halfords with BC membership, with a 10% discount already for example. Or you might find a reduced bike, like this say http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/54026/Whyte_Kings_Cross_Cyclocross_2013_Bike (and you can order through quidco potentially and get a few more quid off)

That said, buying online is not without risk, you can't easily troubleshoot, no 6 week service etc

OP
OP
saul

saul

will have to ask them on Monday, but will also look at alternatives over the weekend. If the ride is say 95% road and 5% trail & path, would I be better off with a regular road bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, road bike with decent tyres. But do you want proper mudguards and a pannier rack for commuting, these aren't so easy to fix to a roadbike

You really need to shortlist some bikes and then make a decision

Cyclesurgery have 20%+ off Orbea, if you want something a bit different...and interest free credit ;)

Decent spec for £600 http://www.cyclesurgery.com/orbea-a...nents-bikewear/fcp-product/54751?listing=true (other than the poor stock tyres)

vickster

Legendary Member
Happy shopping :smile: Take yourself to Ash and see what Giants they have on sale for example

Last edited:

Wafer

Veteran
That's what I did, spent weeks researching cx bikes, ended up with a 'sportive' Road bike instead. Found the canal track is smoother than many roads and Only a couple lanes that more resemble farm tracks that the road bike doesn't like. Still tempted to get a cx but I'm glad I went more roadie this time.

Denny17

Just joined the Forum and saw this conversation. I had a Boardman CX Team from Halfords. Three faulty bottom brackets later I want to return it (all within 3 months). They said I have to have another bike from them but I would like to return it and start again with another brand.

vickster

Legendary Member
If C2W they have a list of manufacturers on the C2W pages. I don't think they have all brands though

Top Bottom