Cycle to Work Scheme - number of bikes....

How many cycle to work bikes do you have/have you had?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Some folk, like me, scratch their n+1 itch* courtesy of HMRC's generosity and at the expense of other taxpayers. Others can't indulge. Some think more than one bike via the scheme is excessive. Others think only one bike should be allowed for a three year period and all else is greedy.

Answer the poll please, and tell us your story in a post....

*though I've stopped having developed expensive tastes beyond the £1k ceiling.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
On my first, but have plans for another :smile:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I admit to four out of a possible five years "worth" ....

1st year - Tourer - used for a year's worth of commuting and in the winter these days
2nd year - MTB - I cough that this was a bit indulgent as I've only ridden it to work about a dozen times (in heavy snow)
3rd year - Audaxy bike - spring summer autumn commuter, sat by my desk right now.
4th year - Brompton - for when work takes me to London.
5th year - Nothing below £1000 floats my boat any more.

Arch

Married to Night Train
None for me, never had the opportunity, and if I did, I'm not sure I'd do it - I have enough bikes (5 plus a trike), mostly bought second hand anyway.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
None. My employer is now part of the scheme, but runs the very complained about one. I would have bought all 4 of my 4 bikes on cycle to work because it is a huge benefit spreading the bike from a lump sum payment to smaller chunks (even if I paid say 20% more, never mind the same or wanting to make big savings as people on here seem to want :whistle:). I was unemployed and a student when I bought 3 out of 4 bikes. For people in my boat it would have been enormously beneficial and to stress again even without the savings that people on this site whinge on about endlessly.

subaqua

What’s the point
employer ran the scheme for a couple of years but only had a 4 wek window to join . i think the the uptake was a bit poor as they haven't this year. I looked into it and it was cheaper for me to get the bike I wanted outright, plus it was a halfrauds scheme and we were explicitly told we had to use Halfords.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Two so far. 2009 bought a Boardman Hybrid for the princely outlay of £400, commuted on it and serviced it religiously, sold it six months ago on Ebay for £500...

Last October was offered the scheme again, this time the Halfords scheme has changed, inasmuch as you can source pretty well any bike from their "approved suppliers", and you aren't restricted to Halfords recommended makers. This suited me as I persuaded my LBS to join the scheme and was able to source a Cube Peloton which hasn't been anywhere near a Halfords mechanic.

I like to spread the payments, and as a 40% taxpayer I will pay just over £600 for a £1000 bike. Those who say "but you can find a discounted XYZ 5.3 for the same money" forget the interest free credit bit, and the 2011 versions of the bike I wanted had sold out about three months after launch, and couldn't be found anywhere, still less discounted.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
First one got in May this year. A Spesj Globe Daily 2 step-thru that's for SWMBO and myself to share.

I'm planning another in 16 months time, which'll be a cyclocross.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
We have to use the Halfords scheme I thought the first year.

1st year I got a Sirrus but unfortunately some how managed to order the wrong size and as Halfords refused to change a sourced bike I was stuck with it.
2nd year Pearsons of Sutton accept the Halfords voucher so it was a Trek 7.3FX with mud guards and pannier to help with the commute and I still use it, great bike for commute.
3rd Year decided to give the road bikes a go, so a Boardman Comp, excellent and people told me it had good components etc, light and a bit faster than the Trek.
4th Year (wife now asking how much) Boardman Team CX so far so good, comfortable to ride, got some mud guards, and a brook saddle, also bought a pair of marathon supreme tyres, now it stands at about £1100 but I told Mrs J it will be my last C2W bike.
The next will be a Santos

It is one way for someone who is PAYE to get a bit back from the taxman, unlike bankers and big busuness fiddling their tax / expenses, so it shouldn't be begrudged.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It is one way for someone who is PAYE to get a bit back from the taxman, unlike bankers and big busuness fiddling their tax / expenses, so it shouldn't be begrudged.

Well, that's lovely.

When do you pay for me to get my bit back, since I can't afford to buy a new bike every year even with a tax break?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm also doing it to bring down the amount I declare for Child Benefit; I'm just over the £50k limit and therefore don't want any reductions.

Complain all you like if you don't like that; the Chancellor allowed it and it's the only method possible of reducing my taxation.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
As I was getting back into cycling about 6 years ago my employer started the scheme, so I bought a Spesh Allez Elite which has been used for commuting & still is on nice sunny days (if & when we get them) Wasnt very practical choice though for commuting, so bought a Tricross about 4 years ago, but never really got on with the bike & sold that after a couple of years & bought my Tourer through the scheme which is used for commuting, touring day rides. just made my final payment last week to buy that. Not sure I'll be buying anymore if the scheme runs again, but who knows:rolleyes: a couple of decent pay rises could push me to the higher tax threshold so a new bike would be even cheaper then :thumbsup:

Top Bottom