cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

i still wouldn't use it to cycle to work. i start at 07:00, and finish at 19:00, and night shifts vise versa. i live 20 miles away, by cycleable roads. i just wouldn't do it. but i would use it to remain fit, and get fitter, and cycle on most of my days off.

don't know whether i should risk it. or not, and save up and pay the normal price?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Go for it. Honestly, it's not checked, and you could always use it to "cycle part way in and get the train / bus / whatever the rest of the way".

cyclenic said:
i still wouldn't use it to cycle to work. i start at 07:00, and finish at 19:00, and night shifts vise versa. i live 20 miles away, by cycleable roads. i just wouldn't do it. but i would use it to remain fit, and get fitter, and cycle on most of my days off.

don't know whether i should risk it. or not, and save up and pay the normal price?

Go for it, as I say use it for leisure. Your employer still benefits in the long run with a healthier, fitter work force.

Jamesb

i am considering getting a bike via the cycle to work scheme, i won't use it for work because i get picked up on the way through to the yard. If i did ride to work it will just go in the back of the van and i will just get dropped of home later, so really it is pointless. It will just save me money.

OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

i've just started to fill the form out, and got to the terms and conditions, legal bit. and it says that the bike and equipment should be used mainly for commuting at least 50% of the time, it says at the bottom that the whole document follows law's.

i just don't want to get caught, for not riding it to work, but on the other hand i want to save money.
i'm a bit of a chicken

i think i'll ring work tomorrow and ask.

Norm

:angry::bravo:

Excellent. :laugh:

User76 said:
It doesn't say you have to commute on it 50% of the time, it says 50% of the journies should be work related.
Not necessarily. The legal regs might say that and most schemes mght say that but I've seen at least one set of scheme rules which do say that you must commute on the bike 50% of the time. It was a big company, too, I think they only put the scheme in place for the politics of it as the rules were so tight that no-one had a bike on the scheme.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's not bloody well fair! Company I work for won't do the CTW scheme. I even offered to set it up and help with the administration. Looking at most of them up at head office they don't look the sort to be enthusiastic about getting off their arses let alone doing any form of exercise so I suppose it's hardly surprising.

I've given up asking...

Norm

User76 said:
That is from the CTW scheme site, work journeys, not commute.
Thanks for verifying what I wrote. Most schemes do read like that. Some schemes, though, don't.

Without seeing cyclenic's Cycle To Work scheme's documentation, it's fair to say that it probably says that he 50% of the journeys should be work related.

However, I don't know of any which have been checked and it's only about the intention at the time of purchase.

adscrim

Veteran
From the DfT site.

So, for example, cycling to and from the station to get to work would qualify. In this case, ‘mainly’ means that more than 50% of use of the cycle and safety equipment must involve a qualifying journey.
Employees are not expected to keep mileage logs but employers should make clear to them that if they do not use the cycle mainly for qualifying journeys, they may lose the benefit of the tax exemption.

I think the most important bit is regards the mileage logs. Not requiring someone to keep proof suggests to me it's never going to be checked. If it is checked all you have to do is state you are in compliance with the requirement.

Top Bottom