Cycle Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Have been thinking of buying a 'cycle' torque wrench similar to the one below, how many CC members own / use one?

LifeLine-Essential-Torque-Wrench-Set-Workshop-Tools-W-88800mk2-0.jpg

Rustybucket

Veteran
I have that exact model and it does the job for me.
I highly recommend it

robgul

Legendary Member
I too have the one in the picture - it's badge-engineered by loads of suppliers/retailers. That said I also have a TOPEAK Torque 5 Mini Torque Wrench which is a much simpler gadget with several bit inserts (they also do a 6nm version IIRC)

Rob

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Ok, so quite a few CC members use a torque wrench of some type on their bike, so here is another question, how do you know to what poundage to tighten a particular bolt or nut?

S-Express

Ok, so quite a few CC members use a torque wrench of some type on their bike, so here is another question, how do you know to what poundage to tighten a particular bolt or nut?

Usually printed onto the component you are fitting. Stem bolts and bar clamps are typically 4/5nm, as are seat clamps. Other than those two areas, I can't think of anywhere else on a bike which routinely requires a precision torque setting - which is why something like a Ritchey torque key is ideal.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Mine looks identical, except the branding, mine's 'Giant' Not really sure how good it is :blush: Bought it a couple of years ago when I got my first carbon bike. This summer the seatpost tube cracked & after the supplier initially arguing that I had overtightened, I got a new frame. Collar stated max 7nm I set the wrench to 6nm & a week or so back the carbon seatpost on my ti cracked right at the top of the tube :sad: Hoping to get the wrench checked/calibrated next week. I'll let you know the results, ie how accurate it is :okay:

Apart from stem & seat bolts which generally have the torque setting printed on them, generally, most of the normal bolts like brakes tend to be about 8 Nm. But I do have a Park Tools book which confirms what things should be.

Top Bottom