Cycle touring as a bearded vegetarian!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Well I am not vegetarian, I like meat far too much, but, cycle touring I can see huge advantages to eating veggie food. Without refridgeration in warm climates meat goes off very quickly, you need to either purchase within hours of each meal, or risk poisoning yourself. With vegetarian food there is rarely this sort of problem, and having had to cater for vegetarians I can't really see a problem.

And as far as the beard goes - I though it was essential on tour - I start with a smallish beard and it just get bigger over the months, and the hair just get longer as well!
Funny you should say that. I met a Chinese chap in southern Spain who was carrying a pork chop in one of his panniers in 30+C heat! Nothing wrong with growing a bit of a beard on tour, saves on bringing shaving stuff, but not great starting off with a full beard!

climo

Über Member
To the OP. Fish aren't vegetables.
Seriously though, I've been a lacto ovarian veggie (eggs & dairy) for well over 30 years and it can be a problem eating out. For years I gave up on most pubs and restaurants as I was fed up with the token veggie option of microwaved lasagne when I could make better meals at home. Nowadays its easier.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
To the OP. Fish aren't vegetables.
Seriously though, I've been a lacto ovarian veggie (eggs & dairy) for well over 30 years and it can be a problem eating out. For years I gave up on most pubs and restaurants as I was fed up with the token veggie option of microwaved lasagne when I could make better meals at home. Nowadays its easier.
Isn't that just being a vegetarian? If you remove the eggs and dairy then it's vegan ;)
I don't think it will be too much of a problem. I think the beard will have to go though. It's just really hard to keep it clean eating and drinking at home, let alone camping!

StuartG

slower but further
Imho in most of France there is no such word as vegetarian. And if there is - it translates to omelette. Great if you desire nothing else!

If you are cooking for yourself, then the abundance of fresh veg makes France an ideal place to be a vegan!

Similarly, French restaurants are a bit stuck in the past, and will, for example, happily give you salad, but with lardons all over it! :sad: Britain was very much like that 25 years ago. And, despite rumours to the contrary, there has been a strong vegetarian culture in France for well over a century.

AndyRM

XOXO
It takes a lot of effort to be a healthy vegan.

It really doesn't.

As for being veggie/vegan on the road, take the time to learn a bit of the local language so you can express your dietary requirements, but also be prepared to compromise; by that I don't mean eating meat, but not worrying what sort of oil things have been cooked in, or whether kitchen equipment has been thoroughly washed/kept separate.

HelenD123

Guru
I survived more than 6 months on the road as a pescatarian and it was pretty easy in North America. I usually stopped mid morning for an egg, potato and whatever breakfast. Dinner would often be pasta or a packet pasta 'n' sauce with veg and lentils/beans/tuna mixed in. Olives make a tasty addition. I'd add extra cheese and oil for more calories. I didn't start eating fish until a visit to France where the vegetarian options was going to be a plate of tomatoes. That was 20 years ago but I don't think things are much different. Cooking for yourself is obviously much easier.

Top Bottom